Project Attorney, Domestic Violence Legal Services Project
LACBA Counsel for Justice (CFJ) is the charitable arm of the Los Angeles County Bar Association. Through its pro bono-based projects, CFJ has been bringing together the Los Angeles legal community to provide access to justice for the most vulnerable in our community for over 50 years. With the support of LACBA and our many volunteers, CFJ’s staff of 15 employees, including seven attorneys, assists thousands of people access their legal rights each year. With a team of over 100 volunteers, CFJ’s Domestic Violence unit alone assists more than 2,000 litigants each year.
CFJ is seeking a staff attorney for its Domestic Violence Legal Services Project (DVP) which has been providing legal services to survivors of domestic violence in the Los Angeles Superior Court Stanley Mosk Courthouse in Downtown Los Angeles for over thirty years. DVP provides access to justice for litigants in restraining order cases by offering legal information, help preparing and filing court forms, and referrals to other critical services. DVP’s trauma-informed services are provided through a team of volunteer attorneys, law students and other community members working one-on-one with litigants.
Note: This position is located at the Stanley Mosk Courthouse in Downtown Los Angeles.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages the daily operations of the clinic, including developing and implementing policies and programs.
- Prepares documents for self-represented litigants; answers legal and procedural questions; reviews and approves documents drafted by volunteers and staff.
- Coordinates, trains, and supervises volunteers. Creates training materials.
- Develops self-help materials for self-represented litigants in restraining order cases.
- Performs legal research; reviews and analyzes assigned legislation, case law and statutes.
- Participates on various committees, task forces, and commissions as assigned to promote access for self-represented litigants.
- Law degree and active membership in good standing with the California Bar.
- Experience in family law.
- Experience working with survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, and/or immigrant populations.
- Demonstrated skills in leadership, organization, and problem solving.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including patience and sensitivity with people in crisis.
- Excellent bilingual oral, reading, and writing skills in both English and Spanish (preferred).
Compensation and Benefits:
This position is an exempt position with a salary range of $71,000 – $82,000 annually, commensurate with experience. LACBA Counsel for Justice offers a generous benefits package. Note that All positions at CFJ are subject to funding.
To apply: Please email cover letter, resume and writing sample with“Attorney DVP” in the subject line.
LACBA Counsel for Justice is an equal opportunity employer.