Inner City Law Center
Director of Development
(Full-Time, Exempt Position)
Inner City Law Center (ICLC) is a nonprofit law firm located in the Skid Row neighborhood of Los Angeles. We are looking for extraordinary people to help us end homelessness in Los Angeles. Founded on the fundamental principle that every person should always be treated with dignity and respect, ICLC fights for justice for low-income tenants, working-poor families, people who are disabled or experiencing homelessness, people living with HIV/AIDS, and homeless veterans. To meet the dramatic increase in need for our services, ICLC’s budget has grown by an average of over 15% annually for over 15 years. ICLC’s 2024 budget stands at $17 million and is funded by a combination of individual, law firm, and corporate donations; government grants; foundation grants; and legal fees.
Position Description: ICLC seeks an energetic and results-driven fundraiser to be our Director of Development and to continue growing our revenue so that we can help to prevent or end homelessness for even more clients. The Director will be responsible for creating revenue-generating opportunities and developing relationships that will diversify and grow ICLC’s base of financial support. The Director will be a strong communicator, proven innovator, and successful fundraiser who is motivated by ICLC’s mission. The Director will work closely with the Board of Directors, supervise a team of four (Associate Director of Development, Grants Manager, Development Associate, and Communications Manager) and report directly to the Chief Executive Officer. The Director leads all of ICLC’s fundraising activities, including:
- Creating and implementing strategies to meet aggressive annual and long-term fundraising goals, including the diversification of funding streams.
- Developing and implementing creative strategies and tactics to steward current and prospective donors.
- Supervising the planning and coordination of ICLC’s annual Awards Luncheon and other fundraising events, including working with Luncheon Committee comprised of Board Members and other volunteers.
- Supervising the implementation of ICLC’s annual letter appeal and other donor mailings.
- Serving as the primary contact for the Board of Directors around development activities, working with the Advancement Committee and with individual Board Members to encourage their own personal giving and fundraising efforts.
- Personally soliciting and securing contributions from individual high-level donors, maintaining an active portfolio of donors at all times.
- Working closely with the CEO to support his maintenance of an active portfolio of donors.
- Designing and implementing strategies to cultivate relationships with the 400+ lawyers who volunteer with ICLC annually in coordination with ICLC’s Pro Bono Coordinator.
- Overseeing ICLC’s communications strategy, including e-fundraising strategies and social media.
- Overseeing all grant-related work on behalf of ICLC, including identifying and pursuing potential foundation and government grant opportunities.
Hiring Criteria: At least ten years fundraising experience. Commitment to ICLC’s mission and values. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Organized and detail oriented. High professional standards and ability to provide evidence of success in meeting or exceeding goals. Team-oriented approach and a positive attitude. Ability to assume responsibilities quickly and work independently. A clear record of building relationships with funders and personally securing individual major gifts. Demonstrated ability to manage members of the Development Team and volunteers.
Compensation: Salary ranges from $120,000 to $170,000 and is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits.
How to Apply: Cover letters and resumes are reviewed upon receipt and applications will be accepted until the position is filled. To apply, please upload your resume and cover letter detailing interest in the position directly to our website at https://innercitylaw.org/join-our-team/. Applications will not be considered if both resume and cover letter are not provided.
Inner City Law Center is committed to having a diverse staff and an equitable and inclusive workplace. To read our full DEI Statement, please click here.
ICLC is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, disability, marital status, or medical condition. All qualified applicants with criminal histories shall be considered in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
To keep our Staff and Clients safe, ICLC requires all Staff to have received the COVID-19 vaccine.