Disability Rights Legal Center (DRLC) celebrated its 40th year in 2015 as the nation’s oldest cross-disability rights advocacy organization. Our mission is to champion the rights of people with disabilities through education, advocacy, and litigation. Our long established intake lines and community outreach efforts enable DRLC to bring high-impact cases in administrative, state, and federal court. These cases impact the lives and conditions for many similarly situated people.
Working at DRLC is more than just a job – it’s a rare opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives. DRLC is an environment with the resources and leadership to support legal staff with interesting and challenging cases. DRLC collaborates with private and non-profit organizations and firms across the country, providing a diverse and rich network for your legal career.
DRLC seeks a dynamic and motivated Staff Attorney with outstanding academic and professional credentials to join the litigation team in our Los Angeles office.
- Reporting to the Managing Attorney, the Staff Attorney investigates and litigates impact civil rights cases on behalf of individuals with disabilities, including special education advocacy.
- Applicants for the Staff Attorney position should have a minimum of two years of experience as a practicing attorney, including litigation experience that prepares the applicant to handle disability rights impact litigation.
- Non-litigation advocacy is also required, including working with volunteers and law clerks, community outreach and training, coalition building, writing and publishing reports, planning and participating in public meetings, legislative research and lobbying, and media interviews.
- Candidates should have excellent written and oral communication skills, excellent project management skills, and a keen interest in DRLC’s mission.
- Admission to California Bar;
- Superb legal research, writing and analytical skills;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Demonstrated commitment to disability rights, strongly preferred;
- Knowledge of federal and state disability litigation, including special education, strongly preferred;
- Experience working directly with clients;
- A high level of independence, initiative, creativity, and good judgment;
- Excellent management and organizational skills; and
- Fluency in spoken and written Spanish, strongly preferred.
DRLC has offices in downtown Los Angeles and at the University of La Verne College of Law in Ontario, CA.
This is a full time, exempt position. Compensation consists of salary commensurate with experience in the public interest sector, insurance benefits (health, liability, life, and disability), professional dues and memberships, vacation and sick leave.
Applications welcome immediately; position open until filled. Applications must include: (1) a cover letter that addresses your goals and your interest in this position; (2) resume; (3) writing sample; (4) names of three references; and (5) a list of major cases you have worked on and a description of your role. Submit electronic application to Norma.Montano@drlcenter.org with the words “Senior Staff Attorney-LA” in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please. Only those applicants who are selected for an interview will receive a response.
For more information on the Disability Rights Legal Center visit: www.drlcenter.org
Persons with disabilities, persons of color, women, and other minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.