STAFF ATTORNEY POSITION
Contra Costa Senior Legal Services is a dynamic nonprofit committed to protecting our area’s seniors. We focus on legal problems that adversely affect the basic needs of our clients such as access to food, shelter, housing and freedom from financial abuse. CCSLS has become an integral part of the safety net protecting seniors and is widely acknowledged as a leader in the areas of preventing Elder Abuse and preserving housing. Our office is small, collaborative, and congenial. We endeavor to provide a work environment that encourages professional development while supporting the individual and their need for a sustainable work/life balance.
We have an opening for a full-time Staff Attorney available immediately. The position would initially provide staffing for the collaborative Elder Abuse Prevention Project through 2020 and then transition to a more general practice. The Staff Attorney advocates for clients, provides legal advice and counsel, and represents clients in court. The Staff Attorney gives presentations to community groups, assists with grant compliance and reporting, and coordinates with other nonprofit and governmental agencies.
The ideal candidate will have experience working with seniors or in legal services, a desire to pursue litigation that furthers the interests of our clients, and an ability to work cooperatively in a small office setting.
- J.D. Degree and membership in the California State Bar
- Experience in landlord tenant practice, elder law, public interest law or directly representing clients in litigation.
- Ability to conduct research and analyses of relevant law, good writing and effective communication skills.
- Travel is required within Contra Costa County.
- Experience working with seniors and a sensitivity to the interests and causes of the older population.
- Spanish language skills a plus.
Compensation will be based on experience but in the range of competitive nonprofit/legal services compensation ($60,000-$63,000 per year). We also provide paid vacation, 11 holidays per year, Bar dues and MCLE, and a medical stipend.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a resume, cover letter explaining your interest in working for CCSLS and references by March 15, 2020 to email@example.com.