Posting Date: 9/4/2019 Closing Date:
We are seeking a Staff Attorney to provide legal services and programs for a community-based nonprofit legal aid office serving a diverse community. This position reports to the Watsonville Law Center Legal Director. The ideal candidate has experience in consumer, employment, record clearance, housing, and/or public benefits law.
LOCATION: Watsonville Law Center, Watsonville, CA 95076, with regional travel required. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct and Supervise client interviews, case review and advice.
- Represent low-income clients in state and federal court in cases at every stage of litigation, including motions, discovery, ADR, and trials;
- Staff community-based clinics to provide legal services to low income families.
- Assist with other firm needs, such as supervising volunteers and interns, participating in firm-wide projects, and helping with grant applications and reporting
- Make systemic change through impact litigation and policy work.
- Assign and help manage supervisees caseloads
- Assisting in identifying potential litigation cases arising from direct services work and assisting in impact litigation efforts in with pro bono attorney or other nonprofit litigation partners
- Assisting in determining appropriate case stories for use in reports, advocacy materials, and public education
- Assists in the preparation of program reports, including tracking and reporting on the outcomes of WLC services.
- D.; admitted and in good standing with the California Bar.
- Excellent writing, research, analytical, and verbal communication skills, bilingual in English and Spanish preferred.
- A demonstrated commitment to equal access to justice, and public interest law.
- A record of moving legal cases forward, excellent organizational skills, and demonstrated ability to build and manage a heavy caseload.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively on projects with lawyers, other staff members, and diverse community organizations.
- Works as a team with staff and volunteers to ensure compliance with office processes and ensures high quality work product.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule including occasional evenings and weekends with limited prior notice.Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and experience working with low income, multi-cultural, immigrant communities.
- Typing is required.
- Valid CA driver license.
- Ability to travel to various locations in Santa Cruz, Monterey and San Benito counties.
Standing, walking, sitting, typing, reaching, bending, moving and/or lifting up to 25 pounds.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
Depending on experience. Salary range from $56,400.00 to $69,900.00 plus full benefit package: Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurances, Voluntary Life Insurance, Voluntary Long Term Disability Insurance, 401(k) with match, Holiday Pay and PTO.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to Adriana Melgoza at firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Staff Attorney” in the email subject.