Public Benefits Attorney
|CLASSIFICATION: Union- Attorney I||SALARY: $65,000 + DOE|
|DEPARTMENT: Legal||FLSA STATUS: Exempt|
|REPORTS TO: Directing Attorney||APPLICATION DEADLINE: Until Filled|
Bet Tzedek legal Services (“BTLS”) operates a ground-breaking medical-legal partnership (“MLP”) with Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, a safety-net hospital located in unincorporated south Los Angeles, between the cities of Torrance and Carson and with annual visits that include 19,000 admissions, 100,000 emergency visits, and 280,000 outpatient visits. BTLS’s MLP has become a critical resource to the low-income, often elderly and/or undocumented community members treated at Harbor. With nearly 75% of Harbor’s patients relying on Medi-Cal and other public benefits, Bet Tzedek now seeks to expand the services currently provided by hiring an attorney to work collaboratively with current BTLS and Harbor staff to represent individuals in their SSI, CalWORKS, Medi-Cal, CAPI, and other public benefits matters, including appeals of denials, overpayment cases, and other forms of assistance. While the attorney will be responsible for conducting intakes and representing clients on a wide array of legal issues, the attorney’s works will serve as the cornerstone of the program’s public benefits advocacy efforts to help stabilize community member’s financial well-being and health.
- Work with Harbor’s staff to identify and refer patients with legal needs to Bet Tzedek.
- Provide intake and assessment for potential patient clients on-site at Harbor weekly.
- Advocate on behalf of clients referred to Bet Tzedek from Harbor in a range of basic poverty law areas including housing access, medical and disability benefits, employment rights, and unlawful discrimination, with an emphasis on public benefits advocacy.
- Co-counsel with pro bono volunteers to represent clients in administrative law appeals, state and Federal litigation.
- Conduct educational presentations and clinics on behalf of staff and patient clients.
- Active member of California State Bar in good standing
- Willingness to train and work with volunteer attorneys and students (required)
- Spanish-language proficiency (highly preferred)
- Minimum one-to-two years non-profit legal services experience or equivalent demonstration of dedication to Bet Tzedek’s mission (preferred)
- Experience in public benefits law, administrative law, elder law, Medicare, and Medi-Cal (highly preferred)
How To Apply
- Email letter of interest and resume to email@example.com. (Subject: “PUBLIC BENEFITS”)
Note: This position is part of a special program created using designated funds; there is no assurance of ongoing funding or employment beyond the period for which the funds are obtained. To best serve our communities Bet Tzedek seeks a diverse staff with cultural competency reflecting our client populations. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups to apply.