Inland Counties Legal Services is seeking an Immigration Attorney to join our Immigration Practice Group. Inland Counties Legal Services, Inc. is a nonprofit organization providing legal services to low-income persons residing in Riverside and San Bernardino Counties. ICLS targets services to seniors and those with the greatest social or economic need. Legal services are provided by attorneys, or paralegals under the direct supervision of an attorney. Levels of service include advice and counsel, limited action (includes negotiations and preparation of legal documents), as well as direct representation before administrative law agencies and civil courts. ICLS provides legal assistance in a variety of areas in law, the eight practice groups are: Outreach, Consumer, Housing, Family Law, Immigration, Systemic/Impact, Health Law and Public Benefits. Visit our website at www.inlandlegal.org for more information.
Overview of Position
The Immigration Practice Group assists survivors of domestic violence and related crimes in obtaining or maintaining lawful status. Candidates with experience in humanitarian forms of immigration relief are strongly preferred.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Experience with U visas, VAWA self petitions, T visas, hardship waivers, and removal proceedings preferred; Law school clinic, internship and externship experience will also be considered.
- Represent clients before USCIS and Immigration Court.
- Responsible for outreach and community engagement. Excellent interpersonal skills are a must as the attorney will represent ICLS and its Immigration Practice Group while at outreach events, meetings with government organizations, other legal services and community-based organizations.
- Review closing letters of non-attorney intake staff to ensure accuracy of legal advice.
- Ensure that emergency matters are identified, and timely and accurately referred to appropriate ICLS staff.
- Provide real-time daily backup and legal support to intake staff in all five ICLS offices.
- Provide accurate and helpful legal information, technical assistance, and referrals; and ensure that the intake staff does the same.
- Identify matters that fall within the priorities of ICLS’s programs, and ensure that such matters are promptly, efficiently and accurately transmitted to the appropriate ICLS programs for timely assistance.
- Assist in preparing reports.
- Perform related tasks consistent with skills, abilities, and general responsibilities as assigned to support ICLS.
- Ensure timely and appropriate responses to incoming requests for legal assistance.
- Ensure that legal services provided are consistent with ICLS’s priorities, policies and procedures, and that they maximize office resources to provide the highest quality client.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Immigration Practice Group Director.
Desired Education and Experience
- Degree from law school and active membership of any state bar in good standing
- Ability to understand the objectives of poverty law
- Prior work experience, paid or volunteer, in legal service office serving low-income clients is considered and asset for employment
- Minimum of two years of immigration law experience preferred
- Strong written, verbal and interviewing skills
- Patient and flexible
Compensation and Benefits
$60,000 to $80,000 per year DOE. Generous benefits package includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability, Life Insurance, and 401K retirement plan contribution. Fourteen (14) paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave policy, a School Loan Reimbursement Assistance Program (LRAP), and a cell phone stipend.
How to Apply
Submit a resume, writing sample and cover letter to HRManager@icls.org.
Inland Counties Legal Services Is An Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, Minorities and Persons with Disabilities Encouraged to Apply.