Job Title: Housing Attorney
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Reports To: Practice Group Director
Supervises: Paralegals and Legal Secretaries as required
Inland Counties Legal Services is seeking Housing Attorneys to join our Housing Team in San Bernardino and Riverside. Inland Counties Legal Services, Inc. is a nonprofit organization providing legal services to low-income persons residing in Riverside and San Bernardino Counties. ICLS targets services to seniors and those in the greatest social or economic need. Legal services are provided by attorneys, or paralegals under the direct supervision of an attorney. Levels of service include advice and counsel, limited action (includes negotiations and preparation of legal documents), as well as direct representation before administrative law and civil courts. ICLS provides legal assistance in a variety areas of law, the nine practice groups are: Outreach, Consumer, Housing, Family Law, Immigration, Systemic and Impact, Health Law and Public Benefits, Tax and Bankruptcy, and Education. Visit our website at www.inlandlegal.org for more information.
Overview of Position
We are seeking a Housing Attorney to join our dynamic Housing Law practice group, which focuses on the preservation of fair and affordable housing, and represents clients who are at risk of displacement – one of the most critical issues facing low-income families in Riverside and San Bernardino Counties.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Represent tenants in unlawful detainer (eviction) lawsuits
- Represent tenants in litigation and administrative proceedings to improve living conditions
- Participate in community outreach events and legal workshops/clinics
- Provide legal advice and full scope representation in court to tenants facing eviction.
- Conduct intake interviews with new clients
- Provide in-office “backup” on a rotating basis, responding to client emergencies and agency inquiries
- Ability to be flexible to adapt and act quickly when urgent matters as required
Desired Education and Experience
- Degree from law school and active member of the California Bar in good standing
- Ability to understand the objectives of poverty law
- Prior work experience, paid or volunteer, in legal service office serving low-income clients is considered an asset for employment.
- Minimum of two to three years of relevant work experience in the legal field.
- Knowledge of landlord tenant law
- Strong written, verbal and interviewing skills
- Patient and flexible
- Previous calendaring experience
- Motion and Litigation experience
How to Apply
Submit a resume and cover letter to HRManager@icls.org.
Inland Counties Legal Services Is An Equal Opportunity Employer
Women, Minorities and Persons with Disabilities Encouraged to Apply