POSITION: Housing Attorney
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Reports To: Managing Attorney and Executive Director
Supervises: As Assigned
Working Relationships: See Below
I. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
A. Purposes of Position:
We are seeking a Housing Attorney to join our dynamic Housing Law practice group, which focuses on the preservation of fair and affordable housing, and represents clients who are at risk of displacement – one of the most critical issues facing low-income families in Riverside and San Bernardino Counties.
B. Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Represent low-income tenants in eviction proceedings at various stages, court, including in Superior Court.
2. Represent tenants in Housing Authority administrative proceedings.
3. Conduct community outreach and trainings.
4. Provide legal advice and full scope representation in court to tenants facing eviction.
5. Conduct intake interviews with new clients
6. Provide in-office “backup” on a rotating basis, responding to client emergencies and agency inquiries.
7. Ability to be flexible to adapt and act quickly when urgent matters as required
C. Supervisors: Housing Practice Group Director, Deputy Director of Litigation, and Executive Director
D. Supervises: May include secretaries, Paralegals, law graduates or law clerks
E. Principal Working Relationships:
Public and Social Agencies
Civic and citizens associations
Representatives of client groups
Other government and public officials
II. QUALIFICATION CRITERIA:
Degree from law school and active member of the California Bar in good standing.
B. Work Experience/Skills:
Ability to understand the objectives of poverty law
Prior work experience, paid or volunteer, in legal service office serving low-income clients is considered and asset for employment.
Minimum of two to three years of relevant work experience in the legal field
Knowledge of landlord tenant law
Strong written, verbal and interviewing skills
Patient and flexible
Previous calendaring experience
Motion and Litigation experience
Spanish is a desirable asset but not required
An ability to relate to the client community being served.
INLAND COUNTIES LEGAL SERVICES IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER WOMEN, MINORITIES AND DISABLED ENCOURAGED TO APPLY