LAAC is currently seeking a Program Associate!
The Legal Aid Association of California (LAAC) is the statewide membership organization for almost 100 other legal nonprofits. Capitalizing on its structure as a membership organization, LAAC naturally takes on the role of advocating on behalf of this group of nonprofits. LAAC facilitates communication and coordination between programs, trains in core substantive areas, analyzes best practices, and assesses and improves the effectiveness of legal aid in California.
This is a great entry-level position for someone interested in legal services nonprofits, considering law school, and who wishes to increase access to justice, the courts, and nonprofit legal aid for all Californians.
Located in Oakland, the Program Associate will report to the Senior Program Coordinator and will work closely with other program staff.
Key Responsibilities (percentages are approximate and may change as needed):
Management of www.LawHelpCalifornia.org, a legal resource and referral website for low-income Californians (80% FTE) - LAAC anticipates receiving a contract to begin this service on July 1, 2014.
- Maintain responsibility for collecting and updating legal referral information for 500 referrals to legal services organizations, court-based self-help centers, law librarians, and State Bar certified Lawyer Referral Services
- Maintain a robust selection of legal self-help resources
- Conduct online research and upload self-help resources
- Plan and execute outreach efforts, including creation and distribution of marketing materials and quarterly online newsletter
- Provide online and in-person trainings of lawyers, librarians, social services workers, and clients throughout the state on how to navigate www.LawHelpCalifornia.org
- Troubleshoot, research, and document technology glitches in website template
- Provide logistical support and information gathering for grant reports, usage statistics, and evaluation measures; take and distribute minutes of various meetings
- Participate in building coalitions and developing new partnerships, including liaising with national organizations regarding the LawHelpCalifornia project and following developments in parallel technology projects happening nationally and in other states
Shared management of www.CALegalAdvocates.org, a website for advocates serving low-income Californians, and www.LAAConline.org, a website to share resources and announcements with the nonprofit legal community (10-15% FTE)
Shared responsibility for updating resources, calendar events, job postings, and advocacy alerts
Provide logistical support and information gathering for grant reports, usage statistics, and evaluation measures; take and distribute minutes of various meetings
Administrative, Program, and Communications Support (5-10%)
- Office Operations: administrative tasks, including, but not limited to, placing supply orders, troubleshooting printer issues, telephone, reception, and mail duties
- Logistical support at regional and statewide conferences held by LAAC
- Provide assistance to other program staff in program deliverables.
- Work with team of LAAC staff on social media and online communications.
- B.A. or B.S.
- Project management experience
- Strong communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to write/edit well and produce quality publications with strong attention to detail
- Capable of working independently and as part of a team
- Expertise in Word, Excel, Google applications, online databases
- Experience working with low-income and underserved communities preferred—bonus if you’ve worked or interned for a LAAC member in the past
- Competitive salaries $28,000 - $34,000 (DOE) and generous benefits
- A 35-hour work week
- Opportunity to learn the legal services landscape in California
- Training and professional development support
- Supportive team-based environment that allows you to take an early lead on projects
- Some travel required, expenses paid by LAAC
Application: Send (1) a cover letter with a detailed explanation of your qualifications and why you are a match for this; (2) your resume; (3) three references; and (4) a writing sample of no more than 5 pages via email to the Senior Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include "Program Associate" in your email subject header. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and the start date will be asap.
LAAC VALUES DIVERSITY.
LAAC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
ALL INTERESTED INDIVIDUALS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
Internship and Volunteer Opportunities
We traditionally hire one to two undergraduate work-study interns per year. If you are interested in becoming a LAAC intern, please email email@example.com to see if we will have an opening in the next academic session.
If you are interested in volunteering in the future, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. When we have a need for volunteers, we're happy to see if you're available!
For employment opportunities at LAAC member organizations, please click here.