STAFF ATTORNEY, AIDS Legal Referral Panel (ALRP)
Staff Attorney sought for nonprofit providing civil legal services for people with HIV/AIDS in the San Francisco Bay Area. Seeking a motivated individual interested in working in a cooperative, flexible office, committed to social justice. Salary: $75,000 – $80,000 (DOE). Excellent benefits. People of color, women, and those with disabilities, including HIV, encouraged to apply. Position open until filled.
To provide civil legal services to people living with HIV/AIDS and to connect clients with ALRP Panel Attorneys.
- Conduct client intake interviews, provide comprehensive consultations and legal advice.
- Provide direct advocacy and representation in civil legal matters, primarily issues pertaining to housing and prevention of homelessness.
- Refer clients to appropriate services providers or Panel attorneys.
- Train and supervise law clerks and volunteers.
- Maintain accurate electronic client files and provide reports to Managing Attorney and Executive Director.
- Conduct outreach and training presentations for clients and HIV/AIDS service providers, on legal issues relevant to the HIV/AIDS community.
- Assist Executive Director and Volunteer Coordinator in recruiting new Panel attorneys by developing appropriate trainings and materials.
- Attend community events to increase ALRP’s visibility in the community.
- Perform general office duties and special projects as assigned.
- Active membership with the State Bar of California.
- Experience working with low-income individuals, people with mental health disabilities, people living with HIV/AIDS, people of color, people with substance use disorders, people with a history of homelessness or incarceration, and people in the LGBTQ+ community.
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of team.
- Experience in eviction prevention and fair housing, wills & trusts, consumer law, credit and debt matters, negotiation and mediation strongly preferred, but not required.
- Strong public speaking and writing skills.
- Well-developed organizational skills and ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Bilingual Spanish preferred.
Please submit resume and cover letter to Executive Director Bill Hirsh at: email@example.com.