Our mission at Legal Aid Society of San Mateo County is to fight social injustice through civil legal advocacy for people living in poverty. We believe every person should have the basic necessities of life, including safe affordable housing, access to healthcare, economic security, secure immigration status, an appropriate education, and freedom from violence and abuse.
Legal Aid SMC seeks a Development Associate to join its mission-driven Development and Communications team. This fundraising professional will provide critical support to the Director of Development and Communications and the Communications Manager with a focus on the data quality, donor correspondence, recordkeeping, and reporting using our DonorPerfect database, as well as prospect research and administrative support across the department. The Development Associate reports to the Director of Development and Communications.
Legal Aid SMC seeks candidates who share our aspirations for a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace. We are committed to affirming differences in race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity and expression.
- Serve as the team’s DonorPerfect manager, ensuring data integrity for new and existing contacts and streamlining processes to improve efficiency.
- Maintain donor giving information including gift allocation.
- Create reports from DonorPerfect and online giving platforms.
- Manage the gift acknowledgement process including preparing and sending thank-you letters and tribute notifications.
- Track and order stationery and other supplies.
- Collaborate with the Communications Manager to refresh thank-you letters and stewardship appeals.
- Assist with stewardship and cultivation processes, scheduling contacts and recording results.
- Identify, research, and create profiles for major gift prospects.
- Serve as primary liaison with the accounting team in reconciling funds and ensuring accuracy in gift allocation.
Events and Communications Support
- Support event preparation, day-of logistics, and event follow-up for events including annual luncheon and golf event and stewardship events.
- Provide administrative support for development and event committees.
- Collaborate with team to track postings related to events on social media.
- Manage vendor contacts for events.
- Record guest participation in DonorPerfect.
- Track and report on event giving results and sponsorship pledges.
- Two years fundraising or related experience in the nonprofit sector
- Data entry experience
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, Outlook
- Excellent oral and written communications skills and attention to detail
- Experience with project management tools (e.g., Asana)
- Experience using donor database software such as DonorPerfect
- Event planning experience
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation: From $26.38/hour, depending on experience
Full-time non-exempt position; 35-hour workweek
Benefits: Legal Aid SMC pays 100% of premium for employee-only health coverage, and up to 95% for employee + dependent coverage depending on plan selected. Legal Aid SMC pays 100% of premium for dental insurance for employee and dependents. Full-time employees receive 16 days of vacation in the first year, plus 13 days of sick leave and 12 paid holidays. Employees become eligible for 3% employer contribution to 401(k) plan after the first year of full-time employment.
Legal Aid SMC is a hybrid workplace. Employee work schedules and work locations are determined by a combination of factors including client needs, organizational needs, workload demands, and personal preference. This role is expected to involve working at least three days per week in our Redwood City offices, as well as attending in-person clinics, outreach events, and staff gatherings (2-3 per month) in the local community. All employees are expected to be available to commute to the office as needed. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required to work in the office.
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Legal Aid SMC is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. People of color, persons with disabilities, immigrants, older adults, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are strongly encouraged to apply.