Consumer Staff Attorney
Job Title: Consumer Attorney
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Reports To: Practice Group Director
Supervises: Paralegals and Legal Secretaries as required
Compensation: $78,000.00 – $115,000.00 annually
Inland Counties Legal Services (ICLS) is seeking an Attorney to join our Consumer Team. ICLS is a publicly and privately funded nonprofit California law firm that provides free services to seniors and those in social or economic need. ICLS provides a range of legal services to residents in San Bernardino and Riverside Counties. Visit our website at www.inlandlegal.org for more information.
The Consumer Team is a committed group of lawyers and support staff who provide services in the areas of financial abuse, bankruptcy and tax disputes. We use community education, outreach, clinics, workshops, negotiation, and litigation to both empower and obtain the best outcomes for our clients. We partner with community organizations and private attorneys to provide the highest quality of service with limited resources.
Overview of Position
We are seeking an Attorney with a passion for consumer protection. This position offers the right candidate a dynamic experience networking, project planning, litigating, grant writing, team building and innovating solutions to bridge the access to justice gap for distressed consumers. The position also provides significant training and professional development. Currently there is a focus on solar/efficiency home loans known as PACE.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Interviewing and advising clients of their rights and legal strategies
- Triage cases for merit and resource allocation.
- Maintain client relationships
- Manage and resolve client litigation and legal disputes
- Research complex legal issues
- Engage in community outreach, workshops and clinics
- Support team members on their cases
- Innovate ways to expand delivery of services
- Participate in grant searches, planning, writing, and reporting
- Demonstrate ability to handle urgent matters in tight timeframes
- Comply with all firm policies, procedures and restrictions
Desired Education, Skills, and Experience
- Law degree and active member of the California Bar in good standing
- Ability to understand the objectives of poverty law
- Prior experience serving low-income clients preferred
- Strong written, verbal and interviewing skills
- Excellent Interpersonal Skills
- Ability to work and collaborate with a team
- Patient and flexible
- Calendaring experience preferred
- Litigation experience preferred
Background in substantive legal areas impacting impoverished communities and experience working with low-income organizations and client groups preferred.