Computer Systems Administrator- IT Department
ABOUT PUBLIC COUNSEL
Public Counsel is a nonprofit public interest law firm dedicated to advancing civil rights and racial and economic justice, as well as to amplifying the power of our clients through comprehensive legal advocacy. Founded on and strengthened by a pro bono legal service model, our staff and volunteers seek justice through direct legal services, promote healthy and resilient communities through education and outreach, and support community-led efforts to transform unjust systems through litigation and policy advocacy in and beyond Los Angeles.
Public Counsel operates eight legal projects: Children’s Rights, Community Development, Consumer Rights & Economic Justice, Homelessness Prevention, Immigrants’ Rights, Veterans’ Rights, the Audrey Irmas Project for Women & Girls’ Rights, and our impact litigation project, Opportunity Under Law.
Public Counsel has a full-time staff of over 150. We are committed to building a diverse staff and encourage applications from people of color, people with disabilities, and people of all gender identities, gender expressions, and sexualities.
ABOUT IT DEPARTMENT
The IT Department is an integral part of Public Counsel’s infrastructure. Among supporting the day-to-day functions of the organization and needs of staff, the department is responsible for implementing major hardware and software upgrades to bring the organization’s level of technology up to speed as an important tool in the distribution of free legal services.
The Computer Systems Administrator reports to the Director of IT and has the following general responsibilities:
- Lead the help desk function. Resolve problems for end users concerning the use of computer hardware and software, including printing, word processing, email, or any other software or hardware in use;
- Maintain essential IT operations including operating systems, security tools, applications, laptops, desktops, software and hardware;
- Install, configure, maintain and document workstation hardware, system software and applications;
- Monitor network and perform necessary maintenance to support network availability – including scheduling updates outside normal business hours to minimize disruptions;
- Support office and case management applications, remote access systems, backup systems and disaster recovery plans;
- Troubleshoot technical issues and implement fixes;
- Set up new accounts, configure and deploy desktops and laptops, and administer Active Directory;
- Provide Technical assistance to users working remotely – at home and in satellite offices;
- Monitor system security and cyber security threats;
- Develop and organize training and video tutorials;
- Optimize processes and lead process improvements;
- Manage special projects; and,
- Other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Strong analytical, interpersonal, analysis, problem solving, organizational, and time management skills are essential.
- Experience with NetDocuments DMS or similar program is a plus.
- Four or more years of experience working in a Microsoft Windows environment and Active Directory in an administrative and technical capacity.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems or related field is highly desired. Equivalent work experience will be considered.
- Intermediate to expert level technical and system administration skills on Microsoft Windows, including configuring and troubleshooting client workstations.
- Working knowledge of TCP/IP networking, DNS and DHCP.
- Current knowledge and training related to cyber security.
- Willingness and ability to learn and adapt to new technology.
- Moderate lifting is sometimes required in the course of day-to-day work.
JOB TYPE AND BENEFITS
- Non-Exempt position
- Pay Range: $37.17/hour to $42.30/hour
- Public Counsel offers a competitive benefits package to full-time employees including:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage with both HMO and PPO options,
- The option to enroll in a Flexible Spending Account,
- A 403(b) retirement plan with elective contribution and a discretionary employer contribution after a year of employment, and Employer-paid life insurance and disability plans.
- Generous paid time off for full-time employees
- Parking and transit benefits
HOW TO APPLY
We value lived experiences and experiences working with clients across a range of settings. Please consider discussing such experiences in your cover letter, especially if they are not reflected in your resume.
PUBLIC COUNSEL VACCINATION POLICY AND COVID-19 PROTOCOLS
Public Counsel requires vaccination against COVID-19 for all employees, including new hires. Pursuant to federal and state laws, Public Counsel will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified employees with disabilities or sincerely held religious beliefs, unless doing so would pose an undue hardship.
Public Counsel is generally office-based, but remote work has been permitted during the pandemic. As of June 6, 2022, all employees with Public Counsel will be required to work in the office at least one day per week, at the discretion of the head of department. This policy is subject to redesign by leadership. Public Counsel will work in a manner consistent with public health and local and state emergency orders.
PUBLIC COUNSEL EEO POLICY
Public Counsel is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate against employees or prospective employees on the basis of union membership or activity, race, religious creed, religious observance, ethnicity, color, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or predisposition, military service, military and veteran status, pregnancy, child birth and related medical conditions, marital and family status, national origin, ancestry, age, medical conditions as defined by state or federal law, or disability, or any other basis prohibited by law.
All qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
Our leadership team is dedicated to this policy with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities discipline, discharge and general treatment during employment.