Position: Workers’ Rights Managing Attorney
Reports to: Workers’ Rights Directing Attorney
Bargaining Unit: No
Type: Full Time
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Centro Legal’s Workers’ Rights Practice provides comprehensive legal services to low-wage workers facing wage theft, discrimination, retaliation, and other violations of workplace rights. Centro Legal also works closely with low-wage worker organizers and worker centers to offer legal services and legal rights education in support of collective efforts to improve working conditions. Centro Legal seeks a managing attorney to help lead Centro Legal’s efforts to provide direct legal services to low-wage and immigrant workers.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Providing direct legal services to low-wage workers through a mix of legal representation advice and counsel, and pro per support in wage-and-hour, retaliation, discrimination, and other claims in administrative proceedings and state and federal court;
- Training, mentoring, supervising, and supporting ongoing development of a diverse staff of attorneys, advocates, volunteers, and interns;
- Assigning and helping to manage supervisee caseloads at a rate that promotes team members’ self-care and wellbeing;
- Supervising legal services clinics;
- Offering technical assistance, support, and know-your-rights education to community-based organizations and legal services providers;
- Developing and strengthening relationships with worker centers and other community partners to provide legal education, outreach, and direct legal services;
- Collaborating with local, regional, and state partners on policy initiatives, funding, and litigation efforts, as needed;
- Assisting in determining appropriate case stories for use in reports, advocacy materials, and public education;
- Supporting the practice’s budgeting and fundraising efforts, including preparation of grant applications and grant reports;
- Serving as a media contact and expert spokesperson for Centro Legal’s workers’ rights practice, as needed;
- Collaborating with Directing Attorney to administer and manage projects and programs within the practice;
- Working in partnership with Centro Legal’s Litigation Director to identify cases and advance Centro Legal’s affirmative litigation work, including employment class actions, multi-plaintiff wage-and-hour cases, and discrimination lawsuits;
- Collaborating with Directing Attorney to collect, monitor, track, analyze, and report data and case deliverables for projects and programs within the practice.
First and foremost, the applicant must profoundly share Centro Legal’s mission and vision of social justice. Below are additional qualifications:
- JD, admitted and in good standing with the California Bar, preferred;
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in employment law or direct legal services;
- Substantial experience with Berman hearings, plaintiff-side employment litigation, and mediation (incl. negotiating settlement agreements) strongly preferred.
- Strong leadership skills and experience managing attorneys, fellows, or interns;
- Fluency in Spanish;
- Excellent writing, research, analytical, and verbal communication skills;
- Familiarity working with clients in crisis or who are trauma survivors;
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively on projects with lawyers, other staff members, and diverse community organizations;
- Knowledge and adherence to community and movement lawyering principles;
- Demonstrated commitment to civil liberties, workers’ rights, and public interest law;
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity within the office and a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences regarding race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability, socio-economic circumstance, immigration status, and record of arrest or conviction.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full time exempt position that is competitive and commensurate with experience ranging from $96,448 – $102,721. This is a full time exempt position.
Benefits and Perks:
We offer a competitive and comprehensive benefits package to include: medical, dental, vision, long-term disability and life insurance.
- Medical coverage ( Kaiser) will be provided at Centro Legal’s expense covering 100%, and 50% for dependents, spouses, and partners. Our alternative health plans with United Health Care at an additional premium cost.
- Additional Benefits include: Health Care FSA, Dependent Care FSA, commuter benefits, pet insurance, and Employee Assistance Plan.
- PTO: Vacation: 0-1 year 16 days per year, 1-2 year 18 days per year, Over 2 years 23 days per year, (1) paid wellness days per month, 12 sick days per year.
- Office Closure: 12 holidays + 8 work days, to include the period from December 24th through January 1st
COVID 19 Policy
Proof of completed Covid-19 vaccination to include both shots of a two-dose vaccination regimen, or one dose of a single-dose vaccine, will be required for all employees (except for reasonable accommodations due to medical and/or religious beliefs). All employees must provide HR with their vaccination QR Code by going to https://myvaccinerecord.cdph.ca.gov/.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. To apply, send a brief cover letter, resume, and list of three professional references by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Workers’ Rights Managing Attorney” in the subject line.
POSITION OPEN UNTIL FILLED
About Centro Legal de la Raza
Founded in 1969 and headquartered in Oakland, California, Centro Legal de la Raza (Centro Legal) is a comprehensive legal services and advocacy organization protecting and advancing the rights of immigrant, low-income, and Latino communities through bilingual representation, education, and advocacy. We combine quality legal services with know-your-rights education, affirmative litigation, and youth development, ensuring access to justice for thousands of individuals and families each year throughout Northern and Central California.
For more information, visit our website: https://centrolegal.org/.
Centro Legal’s mission includes advancing social, economic and racial justice. We are committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion within and ensuring a workplace where all staff can flourish and grow professionally and well beyond. Our staff are the most important part of our ability to achieve our mission. The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, inventiveness, innovation, self-expression, unique capabilities and talent that our employees invest in their work represents a significant part of not only our culture, but our reputation, sustainability and our organization’s success.
Centro Legal is an equal employment opportunity employer and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship, age, medical condition including genetic characteristics, mental or physical disability, service in the uniformed services or veteran status, marital status, family responsibilities, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender identity (including transgender status), gender expression, weight, height, linguistic characteristics (such as accent and limited English proficiency where not substantially job-related), citizenship status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, HIV/AIDs status, conviction/incarceration history (subject to any requirements, exceptions or limitations provided for in the Fair Chance Act or other applicable federal, state, and local law), political affiliation, Union activity, or any other basis prohibited by law. Centro Legal also prohibits discrimination based on a perception that an individual has any of the characteristics of the protected classes listed above, and further prohibits discrimination against an individual who is associated with a person who has, or is perceived to have, any of those characteristics.