VICE PRESIDENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES AND ADMINISTRATION
Public Counsel is the largest pro bono public interest law firm in the country. Founded in 1970, it is dedicated to advancing equal justice under law and addressing economic, racial, and other inequities by delivering free legal and social services to the most vulnerable members of our community. Public Counsel operates eight legal projects: Children’s Rights, Community Development, Consumer Rights, Homelessness Prevention, Immigrants’ Rights, Veterans’ Rights, the Audrey Irmas Project for Women & Girls’ Rights, and our impact litigation project, Opportunity Under Law. Public Counsel has a full-time staff of over 130. We seek to have a racially inclusive staff.
Public Counsel is seeking a dynamic individual with significant experience to serve as a key member of its senior management team. The Vice President of HR and Administration will directly supervise the HR team, the Office Manager, and IT, and will work closely with the President/CEO to:
- Ensure that all human resources and operations programs and initiatives are integrated and effective in supporting Public Counsel’s overall mission, goals, and objectives;
- Assess the human resources and operations infrastructure and implement any changes necessary to support existing programs and enable future programmatic growth;
- Direct administrative operations including the reception function and other shared administrative support for the organization (Office Manager, facilities, IT);
- Develop and implement policies and procedures that ensure the organization complies with applicable labor laws and regulations;
- Assist with negotiation of the bargaining unit contract that defines the conditions of employment for union-represented employees and direct and coordinate the administration of the contract;
- Identify and administer professional development training programs for employees;
- Oversee the annual employee evaluation process;
- Direct the administration of retirement, and other benefits programs; evaluate and develop recommendations for improvements to employer-sponsored benefit programs;
- Working closely with the CFO, evaluate and make recommendations for insurance coverage and renewals, and oversee insurance renewal processes;
- Provide direction and oversight in the development and implementation of employee relations strategies and programs designed to minimize and mediate workplace disputes, and to foster a positive and productive work environment; and
- Seek to ensure that diversity within Public Counsel both reflects and supports the public it serves.
ESSENTIAL JOB SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Significant leadership and management experience in the human resources field, with at least 10 years of human resources management preferred;
- Knowledge of federal and state employment laws and regulations;
- Experience in labor relations in a union environment, including ability to negotiate and manage collective bargaining agreements, preferred;
- A commitment to economic and racial justice; and
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
START DATE AND COMPENSATION
This position is available immediately. The Vice President of HR and Administration is a full-time, exempt position. Salary is commensurate with abilities and experience. Excellent benefits.
Continuous until position is filled.
Please send a cover letter and resume by email, in PDF form with a subject line reading “Vice President of Human Resources and Administration,” to:
No phone calls please.
Public Counsel is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, gender identity or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.
All qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.