Vice President, Legal Programs
VICE PRESIDENT, LEGAL PROGRAMSCLASSIFICATION: Exempt (Non-Union)
SALARY: $130,000 + DOE
REPORTS TO: President & CEO
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Until filled
For 45 years Bet Tzedek has set the standard for innovation and excellence in poverty law. Inspired by the Jewish value of “Tzedek, tzedek tirdoff,” or “Justice, justice, you shall pursue,” the organization was founded by a group of volunteers responding to the need for legal services for low-income individuals in the Fairfax District. Today, the agency is comprised of over 80 full time staff and more than 1,200 volunteers dedicated to using the law to reverse injustices and inequalities faced by Los Angeles County’s low-income community members. Each year Bet Tzedek provides know your rights education, individual representation, and policy and impact litigation advocacy on behalf of more than 50,000 people. Service areas include employment rights, foreclosure defense, elder abuse, tax, caregiver rights, small business development, health care, public benefits, immigration, and housing. Bet Tzedek’s clients range from young child immigrants to exploited day laborers, from members of the transgender community to people experiencing homelessness, and from Holocaust survivors to victims of consumer fraud.
Bet Tzedek is seeking a dynamic, creative, and collaborative individual with significant legal and management experience to lead the agency’s legal department. The Vice President of Legal Programs will directly supervise Bet Tzedek’s Directing Attorneys and work closely with the CEO to develop and manage each of the agency’s initiatives.
• Manage and oversee the delivery of legal services to low-income community members.
• Oversee each of Bet Tzedek’s programs in collaboration with Directing Attorneys.
• Guide the agency’s policy agenda in collaboration with the program staff and CEO.
• Establish, update, and implement the Legal Department’s policies, procedures, and strategic goals, and ensure the Legal Department meets all compliance requirements.
• Lead program growth in collaboration with Legal and Development Department staff.
• Work with CEO, Development, Finance, and Legal Department staff to support grant and fundraising efforts.
• Regularly represent Bet Tzedek in the community, including attending community partner and stakeholder meetings and representing Bet Tzedek in State Bar related matters.
• Demonstrated commitment to Bet Tzedek’s mission to provide free legal services to those who need them most (required);
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (required);
• Active member of the California State Bar in good standing (required);
• Minimum of 5 years practice experience in civil litigation (required);
• Experience in the areas of law Bet Tzedek practices (strongly preferred); and
• Significant leadership and management experience (required).
‘HOW TO APPLY
Email letter of interest and resume to email@example.com. (Subject: “VP, Legal”)
Please note: To best serve our communities Bet Tzedek seeks a diverse staff with cultural competency reflecting our client populations. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups to apply.