LOCATION: Ron Olson Justice Center / Remote
AVAILABILITY: Spring 2021, Summer 2021
For 90 years, Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA) has been the frontline law firm for low-income people in Los Angeles. LAFLA is committed to promoting access to justice, strengthening communities, fighting poverty, and affecting systemic change through representation, advocacy, and community education. LAFLA’s Pro Bono Department recruits volunteer attorneys, law students, paralegals, undergraduate students and community members to expand the Foundation’s free legal services to vulnerable members of the community.
LAFLA, in partnership with OneJustice, operates the Pro Bono Training Institute (PBTI) at pbtraining.org, a free online training platform that aims to prepare attorneys and community volunteers to serve legal services clients. Trainings incorporate adult-learning best practices and are developed by public interest law experts throughout California. LAFLA seeks an undergraduate intern to assist with supporting the many aspects of running this dynamic program. Interns will gain exposure to legal services, training best practices, online learning and website operations, and communications.
- Currently enrolled in undergraduate program;
- Excellent communication and organization skills;
- Demonstrated interest in public service, legal services, language access, education, online learning, and/or technology;
- Experience with website analytics/data, communications, and/or website accessibility, a
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Assist with data collection for PBTI’s legal trainings and materials including drafting surveys and managing contacts;
- Develop and draft social media campaigns and posts to publicize PBTI trainings and legal services community events;
- Conduct outreach to PBTI expert trainers, update records and draft trainer biographies;
- Research and catalogue images and templates for use in online trainings;
- Review and suggest methods of increasing website accessibility and removing barriers to access;
- Research and document resources similar to PBTI including organizations that reference PBTI training material;
- Assist with coordinating special projects and events including remote summer law student training project and Pro Bono bootcamp trainings;
- Various administrative tasks as
HOW TO APPLY: Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Please note that all opportunities at LAFLA are currently virtual, and we will continue to observe county and federal health guidance to prioritize client and staff safety. Apply online at https://lafla.org/get- involved/probono-volunteer/volunteer-application/. In your cover letter, indicate that you are applying for the Pro Bono Intern position.