POSITION: Temporary Staff Attorney
LOCATION: Santa Maria, CA
HOURS: Full-Time preferred (37.5 hrs per week)/Part-Time considered
TIME PERIOD: Mid-November 2019 to February/March 2020
REPORTS TO: Director of Litigation
ABOUT US: The Legal Aid Foundation of Santa Barbara County is a non-profit law firm that provides free legal assistance to Santa Barbara County residents. Our mission is to provide high-quality civil legal services to low-income and other vulnerable residents in order to ensure equal access to justice. We change lives through direct representation, legal advice and information, and community education. Our vision is a community where low-income people and other vulnerable residents are empowered to thrive and where all residents have meaningful access to the civil justice system.
The Legal Aid Foundation of Santa Barbara County has an opening for a temporary attorney to cover a leave of absence in our Santa Maria office. The position is funded through the Sargent Shriver Civil Counsel Act, which targets cases involving critical legal issues that affect basic human needs such as housing, conservatorship, and guardianship. The Shriver program strives to ensure meaningful access to justice for low-income litigants. The attorney provides legal counsel, advice, and representation to low-income individuals facing eviction or other landlord-tenant issues, guardianship of the person and conservatorships of the person based on procedural stance and priorities of each matter.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following range of duties: conducting client interviews, providing advice and counsel, representing clients at all stages of litigation – including but limited to law and motion, trials, post-trial relief; updating and inputting information into case management system; working collaboratively with one intake coordinator; providing education and outreach efforts directed at community members, advocates and service providers; grant reporting, evaluation, and monitoring; and other duties as assigned.
LOCATION: Santa Maria, CA
- Admitted to practice law in the State of California;
- Language: Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred;
- Ability to communicate clearly and respectfully with those who may have educational, language, or other barriers to understanding;
- Ability to meet deadlines and perform multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently in a small office while also working as part of a countywide organization;
- Ability to use appropriate software in the performance of professional legal work;
- Excellent oral and written advocacy, legal analysis, and legal research skills.
- At least two years of experience as a licensed attorney;
- Experience supervising support staff;
- Experience in unlawful detainers, housing, or guardianship/conservatorship matters;
- Experience working with low-income communities;
- Experience working with a civil legal aid organization or non-profit organization.
SALARY: Salary commensurate with experience.
Applications will be accepted immediately and on a rolling basis until the position is filled but priority consideration will be given to those who apply by October 4, 2019. Please submit 1) cover letter 2) resume and 3) a list of references to Alex Lambrous, Director of Litigation at email@example.com.
The Legal Aid Foundation of Santa Barbara County provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partner status, or any other legally protected status. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities to apply.