Temporary Project Coordinator, Pro Bono Program
Six-Month Part-Time Position
Our mission at the Legal Aid Society of San Mateo County is to fight social injustice through civil legal advocacy for people living in poverty. We believe every person should have the basic necessities of life, including safe affordable housing, access to health care, economic security, secure immigration status, an appropriate education, and freedom from violence and abuse.
Legal Aid SMC seeks candidates who share our aspirations for a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace to protect the rights of older adults and adults with disabilities. We are committed to affirming differences in race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity and expression.
The Pro Bono Project Coordinator provides legal administrative support to the Pro Bono Director, primarily in the areas of domestic violence and probate (guardianships and conservatorships) law.
- Perform client intake interviews, draft correspondence to clients, refer clients to other agencies or LASSMC programs
- Provide interpretation/translation services for pro bono attorneys including participating in calls and meetings with client, accompanying client to court, serving as client’s main point of contact, translating documents
- Enter case information in case management database
- Prepare client files and assist Pro Bono Director with administrative tasks, including file and document management, correspondence, and interpretation/translation for Spanish-speaking clients
- A. degree or equivalent experience that demonstrates ability to learn and navigate systems
- English and Spanish fluency (oral and written)
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Data entry, analysis, and reporting experience
- Proficiency with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work closely with a team
- Ability to behave in a compassionate way with clients who have experienced trauma
This is a part-time (25 hours a week) temporary non-exempt position. No benefits are provided except as required by law.
Temporary Remote Work
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, employees are primarily working remotely, coming into the office as needed to provide essential services in line with public health guidance. All employees are expected to be available to commute to the office as needed. Legal Aid SMC provides computers and other equipment, supplies, and reimbursement for home internet and cell phone service needed to work remotely. We are making plans for reopening and expect to provide for hybrid in-office/remote work schedules where practicable.
To Apply: Send a cover letter explaining your interest, a resume, and references to Stephanie Bilinski, Pro Bono Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Legal Aid Society is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Persons of color, persons with disabilities, older adults, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are strongly encouraged to apply.