TEMPORARY CLIENT SERVICES SPECIALIST (May 2022- August 2022)
Applications accepted until the position is filled
CLSEPA’s mission is to provide transformative legal services that enable diverse communities in East Palo Alto and beyond to achieve a secure and thriving future. We serve low-income and working-class populations, predominantly communities of color in the areas of immigration, housing, employment, and reentry law. We combine direct services with community education, technical assistance, and policy advocacy.
We value Service, Equity, Humility, and Inclusion, and practice:
- Working towards our mission with colleagues, clients, and community. We recognize that people come to us as whole beings. Service is inherent in treating others the way you want to be treated and recognizing we all have the power to create change;
- Acknowledging, addressing and reducing harm that results from inequities in society and within our own organization. Working towards equity involves decreasing systematic mistreatment and barriers created by systems of social inequality. It also involves working towards increasing shared access to power, privilege, and resources in the community and within the workplace;
- Understanding that learning is a life-long process, and we can learn from non-traditional sources, like clients and each other. Listening with active curiosity and thinking about your own reactions and judgments, appreciating other identities, expressions, behaviors and ways of being and doing that are different from your own; and
- Creating an environment where everyone, including those who have been historically excluded, is valued, able to participate fully, and have a voice.
The success of our mission is dependent on building and maintaining an organization that includes people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with new perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender non-conforming, first- and second-generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
CLSEPA seeks a full-time, onsite Temporary Client Services Specialist (CSS) from May 2022 to August 2022, with the possibility to extend. The Temporary CSS will play an active and key role in carrying out the day-to-day operations of the front office staff. This role is responsible for ensuring CLSEPA’s front office operates efficiently, creating a welcoming and supportive space for the diverse communities that access CLSEPA’s services. The CSS works closely with all CLSEPA staff, clients, and prospective clients.
- Support front desk volunteers, guiding these individuals in their work at CLSEPA ● Conduct client intakes and screening which include identifying clients’ legal issues, preparing intake information, and scheduling appointments
- Support the functioning of the front office which includes answering phones,
retrieving voicemail messages, and connecting clients with the appropriate services
- Assist with the processing of mail/correspondence
- Develop and maintain basic community referrals in a database, making the resource available to all staff who are assisting clients or potential clients
- Act as a community liaison to clients who express concerns about the services they have received from CLSEPA
- Develop and maintain relationships with referral organizations and community partners to facilitate client referrals
- Manage client complaints ensuring appropriate individuals in management positions are aware if issues needing further attention and/or trends
- Refers individuals to other groups and services when needed
- Develop and maintain systems to collect and analyze data about client/prospective client calls ● Enter client data into a database, following up with clients to gather additional information when required
- Facilitate cross-program referrals within CLSEPA
- Fluent in Spanish and English
- Demonstrable experience providing people-centered support
- Strong interpersonal and written communication skills
- Ability to summarize information accurately and identify potential issue areas
- Commitment to serving low-income and under-served communities
- Ability to relate to and communicate with a broad range of clients and colleagues ● Values working cooperatively with others
- Proven ability to juggle multiple tasks and adjust to changing schedules and priorities ● Initiative, responsibility, flexibility, and leadership
- Experience delegating to, supervising, and supporting other team members
- Proficiency in working with IT resources such as client database, Google Suite, Zoom, Dropbox, Microsoft Office Suite
- Tech savvy and a comfort communicating virtually and learning new office tools
Starting hourly salary for this full-time non-exempt temporary position is $26.92 per hour.
Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible by visiting https://forms.gle/QPsWyGUdqFpmrYqF6 . CLSEPA will review completed applications starting Monday May 16th, 2022.
Proof of completed Covid-19 vaccination, including eligible booster(s), will be required for all employees (except for reasonable accommodations due to medical or religious beliefs).
CLSEPA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer that provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees/applicants in all of our employment practices without regard to race, religion, color, sex or gender (including gender identity, pregnancy, childbirth, lactation, pregnancy-and childbirth-related medical conditions), sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, uniform-service member/veteran status, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, taking/requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other basis protected by law.