Supervising Attorney – Housing
Are you interested in using your legal and supervisory skills to address homelessness and help low-income San Franciscans assert their rights as tenants and maintain housing stability?
Join BayLegal’s dynamic Tenants’ Rights practice!
Bay Area Legal Aid (BayLegal) ensures fairness in the civil justice system for the most vulnerable members of our community. From Silicon Valley to Napa Valley, we help clients protect their livelihoods, their health, and their families. Our clients include the working poor, families with children, foster youth, seniors, immigrants, veterans, and persons with disabilities. Through our regional county offices, our mobile advocacy clinics, and our nationally recognized Legal Advice Line, BayLegal prevents domestic violence and sexual assault, increases economic stability, protects consumers, expands access to healthcare, and prevents homelessness. For our clients, BayLegal makes the difference between staying in poverty and thriving toward a brighter future.
BayLegal’s San Francisco Housing Team: At full staffing, the San Francisco housing team includes 8 attorneys, a paralegal and a social worker who work together as a collaborative team serving low-income tenants in San Francisco and work to advance the needs and rights of low-income tenants regionally and throughout California. Our housing attorneys focus on preserving tenancies for low-income and subsidized tenants in San Francisco. Further, as part of the San Francisco’s Tenant Right to Counsel Initiative, the team works closely with other civil legal services agencies in the county to provide full-scope legal representation to tenants in eviction proceedings.
Position: BayLegal seeks an Attorney with a strong commitment to public interest and social justice advocacy to join our dynamic tenants’ right practice as Supervising Attorney of the Housing Unit for the San Francisco Office and to support BayLegal’s greater mission. You will work closely with and report directly the San Francisco Regional Office Managing Attorney along with working closely with Regional Housing Counsel, Director of Program & Advocacy and Director of Litigation & Advocacy to support your team and further BayLegal’s mission.
As a Supervising Attorney you will have the opportunity to:
- Learn and assist with the diverse legal needs of underserved and vulnerable communities in San Francisco and broader Bay Area;
- Provide day-to-day support of attorneys and advocates, including support of all aspects of eviction defense and affordable housing case work.
- Maintain a reduced caseload to provide direct client services.
- Conduct training, mentoring, evaluation and professional development.
- Engage the team in annual planning and periodic reviews of priorities and responses to emerging issues in the client community.
- Identify systemic problems that affect our clients’ housing rights and address these challenges through affirmative litigation and policy
- Lead the team’s participation in relevant local, regional, and statewide tenants’ rights taskforces and policy advocacy efforts that further the interests of our client community.
- Help lead relationship building, partnership and collaboration with local court, government and community-based agencies to a maintain social safety net for low-income clients and ensure integrative services.
- Lead project management regarding grant deliverables, contract compliance and necessary data collection and reporting to BayLegal’s Development, Grants and Contracts, and Communications Team to promote BayLegal’s mission and resource development.
- Engage in other tasks and projects that further the interest of BayLegal’s mission and operations as a non-profit.
Requirements/Qualifications/About the Successful Candidate:
- Membership in good standing in the California State Bar;
- Five or more years practice as a licensed attorney with experience developing projects and leading a diverse team;
- Direct service experience, particularly in the defense of unlawful detainer actions;
- Familiarity with the San Francisco housing court is preferred;
- Strong personal work ethic and ability to organize time, manage diverse activities, and meet critical deadlines;
- Excellent writing, editing, and proof-reading skills, with ability to be detail-oriented;
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work collaboratively with a dynamic team;
- Facility and transparency in communicating important information to staff and ability to motivate commitment to the mission;
- Ability to develop and articulate a clear vision of priorities and inspire others to maximum effectiveness;
- Ability to develop and implement effective training and mentorship programs for new staff;
- Ability to take decisive action and ensure accountability;
- Facility in recognizing, addressing and resolving interpersonal conflicts;
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely and effectively, including in public presentations;
- Ability to organize and supervise the case work and projects of a professional office;
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with funders;
- Ability to track, maintain and report statistics to stakeholders;
- Humility in working with colleagues and clients across the spectrum of diversity, including race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, immigrant status, religious identity, physical and mental disabilities, and/or limited English proficiency.
Compensation and Benefits: We offer a diverse, family friendly environment, and compensation based on competitive public interest salaries along with a generous benefits package. BayLegal’s benefits package includes 100% employer covered medical, dental, and life insurance for employees and up to 40-50% for dependents; long term disability insurance; stipends for bilingual employees whose language skills are used in the provision of work tasks; student debt repayment program; dependent childcare employer contribution program and 401k retirement plan following first year. Paid leave policy includes sick leave; parental leave; 14 holidays each year and vacation (starting at 13 days and increasing with additional years of employment).
Applications: BayLegal thrives on our diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, persons of color, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Please email the following to our Human Resources Department firstname.lastname@example.org (1) cover letter including response to question below (no page limit), (2) resume, (3) references, and (4) writing sample. Please reference Supervising Attorney, SF Housing in the subject of your email. Applicants are encouraged to apply by June 1, 2020.
As part of your cover letter, please address the following:
BayLegal’s clients are low- and very low-income members of our communities. They include people of color, LGBTQ+ people, immigrants, seniors, people with lived experiences of homelessness, veterans, people with disabilities, and people from other underrepresented groups. BayLegal is committed to enhancing the provision of our services to all clients, increasing positive client outcomes, and creating an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued. BayLegal promotes and supports policies that enable us to work effectively in cross-cultural situations with our clients, coworkers, and the community.
How do you think your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to: (1) serve our diverse client base effectively, (2) work effectively with colleagues from different backgrounds than your own, (3) acknowledge the systemic barriers that our clients face, and (4) contribute to our efforts to fight for racial justice? Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, provide examples, and apply various aspects of your life and personal experiences.