Full-time Supervising Attorney – Consumer Law Unit
The Public Law Center (PLC)’s Consumer Law Unit is seeking an energetic, passionate advocate to join our team in fighting for justice for low-income consumers in Orange County through innovative, collaborative, community-centered lawyering to address inequities and pursue economic justice.
PLC’s Consumer Law Unit provides high quality direct legal representation, in addition to coordinating and supervising pro bono representation in the following areas: debt collection defense, student loans, identity theft, bankruptcy, predatory lending, and home equity scams. The Unit conducts courthouse based legal clinics in the U.S. District and Bankruptcy Courts. The Consumer Unit also operates PLC’s Elder Justice Project, working with older adults in Orange County to prevent and recover from elder financial abuse.
- Active membership in the California State Bar/Bar Membership pending or eligibility to practice under State Bar Multijurisdictional Practice Program.
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
- 4-6 years’ experience, knowledge of consumer law or civil litigation preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong public speaking skills and ability to communicate with a variety of audiences, from community members to pro bono attorneys.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to take initiative and work with limited supervision.
- Must have own transportation, valid CA Drivers license, insurance and good driving record; travel throughout Orange and neighboring counties may be necessary.
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless the applicant has a valid medical reason for not being fully vaccinated or a sincerely held religious belief preventing vaccination.
Duties and Responsibilities
- In coordination with the Executive Director and other senior staff develop and execute strategies, including policy advocacy and impact litigation, to resolve consumer problems with a large impact on the community
- Serve as a member of PLC’s leadership team and actively participate in office wide management activities
- Work collaboratively with other PLC substantive units, as well with other legal services providers, community groups, and government officials
- Supervise staff attorneys, paralegals, and administrative staff to ensure high quality legal services are provided to PLC’s clients.
- Handle a limited caseload on behalf of low-income primarily Latinx clients dealing with consumer law issues, including debt collection defense, bankruptcy, homeownership scams, and other civil litigation in both state and federal court proceedings.
- Participate in and help coordinate legal clinics and workshops.
- Develop local, state and federal policies addressing consumer law issues
- Conduct education presentations to clients, partner agencies, and service
- Oversee volunteer attorneys and law students through training, technical support and general supervision.
- Represent PLC at legal networking and community outreach
- Full time position with occasional evening and weekend work required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Salary & Benefits
- Compensation dependent on experience; range of $80,000 to $95,000
- Competitive benefits provided
Please submit resume, cover letter and writing sample (10 pages or less) to
Grace Landa at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no phone calls.
The Public Law Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
601 Civic Center Drive West ∙ Santa Ana, CA 92701-4002 ∙ (714) 541-1010 ext. 272 ∙ Fax (714) 541-5157