POSITION: Supervising Attorney- Client Intake Workgroup
SALARY: DOE with excellent benefits
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Continuous until position is filled.
The Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA) is the frontline law firm for low-income people in Los Angeles and is currently accepting applications for the position of Supervising Attorney. LAFLA seeks to achieve equal justice for poor and low-income people in greater Los Angeles. We change lives through direct representation, systems change, and community education.
The Organization: LAFLA (www.LAFLA.org) is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved – leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people in civil legal matters by providing direct legal representation and other legal assistance for low-income people across the Greater Los Angeles region. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA has over 100 employees with over 70 attorneys. LAFLA operates five neighborhood offices and several off-site locations. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
- Active membership in the California State Bar;
- Demonstrated knowledge of poverty law (across substantive areas) and community legal needs;
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and triage client issues and needs;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to meet deadlines and perform multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to adapt quickly to changes in daily priorities;
- Knowledge of principles of administration and supervision;
- Previous experience in a legal services program preferred;
- Knowledge of, and comfort with, intake systems and technology;
- Prior experience supervising and/or mentoring staff/volunteers;
- Ability to work cooperatively with staff effectively at all levels;
- Ability to travel to LAFLA’s five offices;
- Willingness to work beyond a minimum 7.0 hour workday, including evening and weekend meetings and events, and work weeks in excess of 35 hours when caseload or other obligations so necessitate; and
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Supervise reception staff under the direction of the Managing Attorney;
- Manage reception coverage in all LAFLA offices;
- Respond to urgent issues involving walk-ins;
- Oversee high-volume Call Center operation;
- Communicate with workgroups to update eligibility and referral information and resources;
- Work closely with Managing Attorney to develop foundation-wide systems;
- Coordinate reception support with Support Services Manager;
- Collaborate with Pro Bono to recruit, train, and supervise volunteers for intake and clinics;
- Implement LAFLA’s Performance Standards and draft staff evaluations; and
- Ensure that legal services provided are consistent with LAFLA’s priorities, policies and procedures, and that they maximize office resources to provide the highest quality client service.
HOW TO APPLY -Please submit a cover letter and resume online to email@example.com. Include “Supervising Attorney – Client Intake” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD – A one-year probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.