POSITION: Supervising Attorney- Client Intake Workgroup
LOCATION: Ron Olson Justice Center
SALARY: DOE with excellent benefits
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Continuous until position is filled.
Are you interested in joining an organization dedicated to increasing access to justice while addressing systemic inequities among the most vulnerable members of the Greater Los Angeles area? If yes, LAFLA is the place for you!
The Organization: LAFLA is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved—leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. With more than 90 years of service, LAFLA is the first and most experienced legal aid organization in Greater Los Angeles. LAFLA has more than 170 employees, including more than 80 attorneys, who provide free services and resources on a broad range of civil legal issues that impact healthy, safety, and self-sufficiency. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people find their voice, regain control of their lives, and build a brighter future. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA also engages in impact litigation to help enact long-term systemic change—actively collaborating with a network of public and private partners to expand access to justice, identify needs in the communities we serve, and change laws and policies that adversely affect the underserved. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
LAFLA is currently accepting applications for the position of Supervising Attorney.
- Active membership in the California State Bar;
- Demonstrated knowledge of poverty law (across substantive areas) and community legal needs;
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and triage client issues and needs;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to meet deadlines and perform multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to adapt quickly to changes in daily priorities;
- Knowledge of principles of administration and supervision;
- Previous experience in a legal services program preferred;
- Knowledge of, and comfort with, intake systems and technology;
- Prior experience supervising and/or mentoring staff/volunteers;
- Ability to work cooperatively with staff effectively at all levels;
- Ability to travel to LAFLA’s five offices;
- Willingness to work beyond a minimum 7.0 hour workday, including evening and weekend meetings and events, and work weeks in excess of 35 hours when caseload or other obligations so necessitate; and
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Supervise reception staff under the direction of the Managing Attorney;
- Manage reception coverage in all LAFLA offices;
- Respond to urgent issues involving walk-ins;
- Oversee high-volume Call Center operation;
- Communicate with workgroups to update eligibility and referral information and resources;
- Work closely with Managing Attorney to develop foundation-wide systems;
- Coordinate reception support with Support Services Manager;
- Collaborate with Pro Bono to recruit, train, and supervise volunteers for intake and clinics;
- Implement LAFLA’s Performance Standards and draft staff evaluations; and
- Ensure that legal services provided are consistent with LAFLA’s priorities, policies and procedures, and that they maximize office resources to provide the highest quality client service.
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION – LAFLA offers a diverse environment with competitive compensation based on comparable public interest salaries. We also offer a generous benefits package for full-time employees including medical, dental, and vision for employees and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability and long-term care insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan. Employees may also qualify for bilingual supplements, law student loan reimbursements, and a cell phone stipend.
HOW TO APPLY – Please submit a cover letter and resume online to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Supervising Attorney-Client Intake” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD – A one-year probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.