|CLASSIFICATION: Union – Attorney I||SALARY: DOE|
|DEPARTMENT: Legal||FLSA STATUS: Exempt|
|REPORTS TO: Directing Attorney||APPLICATION DEADLINE: UNTIL FILLED|
Description: Bet Tzedek seeks a full-time staff attorney for its Beverly Hills Project. This project is part of Bet Tzedek’s larger Community Outreach work. Working under the supervision of the Directing Attorney , this project involves providing legal services to moderate and low income members of the community on housing issues, including advice and representation concerning the rent stabilization sections of the Beverly Hills Municipal Code, as well as providing legal services to moderate and low income seniors on a wide range of civil legal matters, including government benefits, consumer issues, debtors’ rights, and advance planning. The attorney will conduct presentations and provide general outreach and education, and may have other outreach and special projects assignments. The Tenants’ Rights & Elder Law staff attorney will conduct phone intake as well as onsite intake in Beverly Hills. This position provides an opportunity to exercise creative thinking and project implementation skills in order to identify areas of growth and continue to build this project.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Conduct intake interviews to assess the needs of individuals and/or their families; participate in weekly case reviews, make recommendations regarding representation and follow-up in civil and administrative law matters.
- Represent clients in judicial, administrative and non-adversarial proceedings.
- Develop and strengthen relationships with social workers and other social services providers in the City of Beverly Hills that refer clients.
- Facilitate and conduct legal clinics and presentations onsite using pro bono attorneys and/or paralegals.
- Provide presentations and general outreach.
- Follow proper case management procedures, which include, but are not limited to, timely case opening, accurate case coding, timely and accurate entry of case time, and all other administrative duties as required by Bet Tzedek’s process.
- Perform other outreach assignments and work on projects as needed or assigned.
- Work with pro bono attorneys and in-house volunteers to address client needs.
- Law degree, active California State membership, excellent writing and presentation skills, and demonstrated commitment to public interest are
- Ability to interact respectfully and productively with a wide range of clients is essential.
- Spanish language skills preferred.
How to Apply: Email cover letter, resume, & writing sample to email@example.com. Subject: Beverly Hills.
Note: This position is part of a special program created using designated funds; there is no assurance of ongoing funding or employment beyond the period for which the funds are obtained. To best serve our communities Bet Tzedek seeks a diverse staff with cultural competency reflecting our client populations. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups to apply.