POSITION: Staff Attorney – Tax Controversies, Bankruptcy and Consumer Debt
SUPERVISOR: Directing Attorney
WAGE RANGE: Depending on experience
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Full time, Exempt
Application Deadline: Continuous until position is filled
Community Legal Aid SoCal (CLA SoCal) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that was founded in 1958 for the purpose of providing civil legal services to low income individuals and seniors. It has two offices in Orange County and two offices in Southeast Los Angeles County. Community Legal Aid SoCal (CLA SoCal) seeks an energetic, motivated, personable and effective Staff Attorney to provide direct services and representation to clients needing assistance with tax controversy issues, Chapter 7 Bankruptcies and consumer debt issues. The Staff Attorney in this position will responsible for representing eligible clients who reside in the service areas of Southeast Los Angeles and Orange Counties.
- Conduct a broad range of tax controversy assistance, including advice and counsel, preparing legal pleadings, and full representation in administrative proceedings and in Tax Court;
- Conduct Chapter 7 Bankruptcy clinics and provide individual assistance to clients including preparing bankruptcy petitions and representation in Bankruptcy Court;
- Conduct Consumer Debt Workshops at the Central Justice Courthouse and assist clients facing unfair or predatory debt collection practice by preparing responsive pleadings and court representation;
- Assess the legal merits of each case, the need for legal advocacy and level of services to be provided to client;
- Trains, directs and supervises clinical law students and paralegals;
- Participate in community outreach and community legal education activities;
- Attend substantive legal trainings, consult with other tax experts, and work closely with the Taxpayer Advocate Service;
- Identify wrap around legal services and work collaboratively with CLA SoCal various legal units;
- Perform administrative tasks and other duties, as assigned by supervisor.
- Active member in good standing of the California State Bar;
- Eligibility for admission into the U.S. Tax Court;
- Minimum 3 years of legal experience as an attorney;
- Prior legal services advocacy experience desirable;
- Prior work experience in the field of tax law, bankruptcies and consumer issues desirable;
- Legal representation before administrative agencies desirable.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, computer skills and problem-solving skills; attention to detail;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships both internally and with external community contacts;
- Enthusiasm for working with the population who normally would not be able to afford an attorney;
- Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle, active insurance policy and ability to travel frequently in and around the service area to engage with clients and community partners;
- Bilingual English/Spanish skills very desirable.
- Knowledge of legal principles and their application.
- Knowledge of rules of evidence and the conduct of court proceedings.
- Knowledge of legal research methods.
- Proficiency in Form Builder, Best Case, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, etc.) and other software programs.
We offer an outstanding benefit package which includes: medical, dental, LTD, 401k with employer contribution, life insurance, and FSA. Paid holidays | vacation | sick leave
TO APPLY, send resume and cover letter to Jessica Flowers at firstname.lastname@example.org. Position open until filled.
Community Legal Aid SoCal is an Equal Opportunity Employer.