STAFF ATTORNEY – SMALL BUSINESSES
|CLASSIFICATION: Attorney I (Union)||SALARY: $60,738.68 – $75,928.00 (DOQ)|
|DEPARTMENT: Legal||FLSA STATUS: Exempt|
|REPORTS TO: Directing Attorney||APPLICATION DEADLINE: Until filled|
For nearly 50 years, Bet Tzedek Legal Services has provided high-quality, free legal services to Los Angeles’ most vulnerable residents. In that tradition, four years ago, Bet Tzedek launched its most recent effort to promote economic growth and equality in Los Angeles, the Small Business Development Program. The Small Business Development Program invests valuable legal expertise in underserved entrepreneurs to nurture talent, develop innovators, and empower those who wish to build a better future in marginalized communities.
Following the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, which severely impacted small businesses, Bet Tzedek substantially ramped up its Small Business Development Program and nurtured many new partnerships with community organizations and government offices to further expand our reach. One of the most recent partnerships is with Los Angeles City Council District 9 (CD9) or the “New Ninth,” a collection of neighborhoods and communities rich in history and cultural diversity located in South and Central Los Angeles. As part of Bet Tzedek’s partnership with CD9, we will provide legal education, advice, and representation to small businesses located in CD9 on a range of transactional issues, including real estate, entity formation, IP protection, labor law, and liability mitigation. Bet Tzedek is seeking a staff attorney that will be co-located with the CD9 office and assist CD9 small business owners with their business-related legal issues as they seek to start, maintain, or grow their business.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES (OTHER DUTIES MAY BE ASSIGNED):
- Conduct initial intake interviews, assess client eligibility, and refer clients as needed;
- Maintain a case load of business-related matters including business formation, document drafting (contracts, bylaws, operating agreements, etc.), financing for businesses, IP protection and regulatory compliance;
- Work with the program’s Directing Attorney and Bet Tzedek’s Director of Pro Bono Programs to place matters with pro bono attorneys, including by drafting memos and other documentation, and by training and mentoring pro bono attorneys;
- Organize and supervise webinars and legal clinics;
- Conduct outreach (in person or through remote technology), including know your rights trainings, and communicate with key audiences, including other community organizations and government agencies;
- Work collaboratively with CD9 staff attorneys, administrative staff, and office staff to ensure that small business owners and entrepreneurs in CD9 receive the necessary legal tools to start, maintain, or grow their business;
- Partner with other entities and individuals that aid small business owners and entrepreneurs to provide holistic services to clients; and
- Work closely with the program’s Directing Attorney to track client data and outcomes.
- Active member of the California State Bar in good standing (required).
- Minimum 2-3 years of experience practicing law (required).
- Highly motivated self-starter (required).
- Familiarity with general legal areas common to small business operations, business formation, and document drafting (contracts, bylaws, operating agreements, etc.) (preferred).
- Familiarity with one or more substantive legal areas relevant to small business operations (commercial leasing contractual and landlord/tenant issues, business financing, intellectual property, employment law, licensing, and regulatory compliance, etc.) (preferred).
- Ease with oral and written communication in both English and Spanish (preferred).
- Willingness to train and work with volunteer attorneys and students (required).
- Demonstrated commitment to Bet Tzedek’s mission to provide free legal services to those who need them most (required).
- Demonstrated commitment to applying principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion in performance of job duties (required).
How To Apply:
- Email letter of interest, resume, and salary requirements to bettzedek.1B.firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, no phone calls.
Note: All positions are subject to funding; ongoing funding or employment cannot be assured.
To best serve our communities, Bet Tzedek seeks diverse staff with cultural competency reflecting our client populations. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups to apply.