STAFF ATTORNEY –
RAPID RESPONSE FOR IMMIGRANT COMMUNITIES
CLASSIFICATION: Attorney I (Union Position)
DEPARTMENT: Legal Services
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Directing Attorney
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Until Filled
Rapidly changing policy over the last two years has left Los Angeles’ immigrant community in a state of confusion, uncertainty, and concern. Involuntary removal threatens to separate parents from US citizen children. Families forgo applying for public benefits for fear of being deemed a public charge. Still others endure harassment, wage theft, and illegal rent increases or evictions in silence for fear that asserting their rights will jeopardize their immigration status. To be successful, this staff member will serve as a bridge between community partners, immigrant clients, and Bet Tzedek to provide information, advice and representation on the broad range of civil legal issues impacted by new immigration policies. In particular Bet Tzedek seeks an advocate willing and able to build new relationships with local school districts and other community gathering points where those community members most urgently effected by these concerns can most easily access services.
1. Continue Bet Tzedek’s work with community partners to set, arrange, and conduct Family Preparedness Workshops typically held on nights and weekends.
2. Work with Bet Tzedek program staff to develop and/or provide Know Your Rights presentation on civil legal issues impacting undocumented immigrants, such as public benefits and housing.
3. Collaborate with Bet Tzedek program staff to facilitate the provision of civil legal services to immigrants on housing, employment rights, guardianship, elder abuse, tax, and others.
4. Facilitate client referrals to other legal services agencies and community partners.
5. Work with Pro Bono Department to recruit, train, and supervise volunteers to assist with efforts.
• Spanish-language proficiency (required)
• Minimum one-to-two years non-profit legal services experience (preferred)
• Experience in immigration law (preferred)
• Demonstrate an understanding and commitment to Bet Tzedek’s mission of equal justice for all and Bet Tzedek’s core values of leadership, community-based advocacy, and innovation.
HOW TO APPLY:
• Email letter of interest and resume to email@example.com. (Subject: “RAPID RESPONSE ATTORNEY”)
Note: This position is part of a special program created using designated funds; there is no assurance of ongoing funding or employment beyond the period for which the funds are obtained. To best serve our communities, Bet Tzedek seeks diverse staff with cultural competency reflecting our client populations. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups to apply.
Bet Tzedek Legal Services 3250 Wilshire Blvd. 13th Floor Los Angeles, CA 90010-1577 main: (323) 939-0506 • fax: (213) 471-4568 • www.bettzedek.org
STAFF ATTORNEY –