Position: Staff Attorney – Immigration
The Organization: The mission of Los Angeles Center for Law and Justice (LACLJ) is to secure justice for survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault and empower them to create their own future. Located in East Los Angeles, LACLJ is a 30-person non-profit law firm serving survivors throughout Los Angeles County. LACLJ’s primary practice areas are family law and immigration. However, LACLJ strives to provide clients with holistic legal services and has both a growing criminal justice advocacy and appellate practice. Through our integrated legal/social worker service model, LACLJ Community Care Advocates provide supportive services such as education, safety planning, accompaniment, and linkages to other service providers as part of the legal team. LACLJ is committed to a trauma-informed and culturally-responsive workplace and service provision.
The Position: LACLJ seeks a staff attorney with a strong commitment to public interest and social justice advocacy to join our team. This Staff Attorney will represent low-income survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault and human trafficking in a variety of immigration matters, including humanitarian-based affirmative petitions and removal defense hearings/ICE check-ins. In addition, this position offers the opportunity to:
- Provide presentations and trainings to community partners and client communities on family law and other legal issues;
- Develop relationships and collaborate with a range of public and private community partners to address systemic barriers facing LACLJ’s client community; and
- Engage in other tasks and projects that further LACLJ’s mission and operations.
Essential Job Skills and Abilities
- D. degree from an ABA accredited law school
- 0-5 years of experience practicing as a member in good standing in the California Bar (or pending 2019 Bar results)
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, and an ability to work collaboratively with a dynamic team
- Ability to read, write and speak fluently in Spanish
- Commitment to trauma-informed advocacy, empathy, responsive listening, and demonstration of authentic care and concern
- Previous experience working with survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault or human trafficking and/or immigrant populations.
- Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income people
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
- Work will be performed in an office setting at a work station.
- This position requires concentration on tasks while facing distractions.
- This position requires attendance at meetings, both in and outside the LACLJ offices.
- Use of office machines such as computers, photocopiers, and telephones.
- Ability to work at and travel between the LACLJ main office at 5301 Whittier Blvd. in East Los Angeles and to court and immigration offices.
Salary and Benefits: Salary individual ranges from $55,000 to $65,000 per year depending on experience. LACLJ offers full-time staff a 35-hour work week, casual office environment, and a generous benefits package and paid vacation leave including 100% employer-paid medical (Kaiser), dental, vision, long-term disability, life insurance and the option to participate in a 403(b) retirement plan and dependent and health flex savings accounts (FSA).
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to Marilyn Florentino, Office Administrator, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title in the subject header. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Los Angeles Center for Law and Justice is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, disability, or sexual orientation