||Full-time Staff Attorney –Housing and Homelessness Prevention Unit
|| The Public Law Center (PLC), Orange County’s pro bono law firm, is committed to providing access to justice for low-income residents. Through volunteers and staff, PLC provides free civil legal services, including counseling, individual representation, community education, and strategic litigation and advocacy to challenge societal injustices. Now in its 38th year of service, PLC works with more than 1,400 volunteer lawyers, paralegals and law students from throughout the county who volunteer their time and expertise.
PLC is seeking a staff attorney to expand and increase services in its Housing and Homelessness Prevention unit, through a mix of individual representation, impact litigation and local and state advocacy.
- Active membership in the California State Bar
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
- 1-3 years demonstrated experience in eviction defense, land use issues and/or federally subsidized housing programs preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to working with low-income communities
- Excellent oral/written communication skills
- Strong public speaking skills and ability to train a variety of audiences, from clients to pro bono attorneys
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and work independently
- Must have own transportation, valid CA Driver’s license, insurance and good driving record
|Duties and Responsibilities
- Handle a full caseload of individual housing-related matters, including eviction defense and administrative hearing representation
- Collaborate with PLC staff to provide quality legal services to PLC’s clients
- Engage in a wide variety of complex litigation and advocacy tasks including investigation, factual and legal research, discovery, briefing, witness preparation and oral and written advocacy
- Oversee volunteer attorneys and law students through training, technical support and general supervision
- Conduct community education presentations to clients, partner agencies, and service providers
- Assist with periodic compilation of data related to grant funding
- Represent PLC at legal networking and community outreach events
- Full time position with occasional evening and weekend work required
- Other duties as assigned
|Salary & Benefits
- Compensation dependent on experience; range of $53,000 to $70,000
- Competitive benefits provided
||Please submit resume, cover letter and writing sample (10 pages or less) to Grace Landa at: email@example.com. Please no phone calls.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
The Public Law Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.