Homelessness Prevention Law Project
Public Counsel is the largest pro bono public interest law firm in the country. Founded in 1970, it is dedicated to advancing equal justice under law and addressing economic, racial, and other inequities by delivering free legal and social services to the most vulnerable members of our community. Public Counsel operates eight legal projects: Children’s Rights, Community Development, Consumer Rights, Homelessness Prevention, Immigrants’ Rights, Veterans’ Rights, the Audrey Irmas Project for Women & Girls’ Rights, and our impact litigation project, Opportunity Under Law. Public Counsel has a full-time staff of over 120. We seek to have a racially inclusive staff.
Public Counsel’s Homelessness Prevention Law Project (HPLP) serves individuals who are homeless or at high risk of becoming homeless. HPLP provides pro bono representation to homeless individuals and families to secure food, shelter, clothing and other vital benefits. HPLP’s work includes services to people living with HIV/AIDS: advocacy and general assistance for General Relief, CalFresh (Food Stamps), CalWORKs, Medi-Cal, the AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP), and services that are more extensive related to Supplemental Security Insurance (SSI), Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), and Social Security. We operate a medical-legal partnership at the LAC+USC Rand Schrader Clinic where we conduct general intake concerning a broad array of legal issues including all government benefits identified above, landlord-tenant, expungement, tickets/warrants, consumer and immigration issues. We also conduct educational forums for people living with HIV/AIDS and the staff of community-based organizations and healthcare providers.
The Staff Attorney will primarily work with our team providing services to people living with HIV/AIDS. This is a full-time position based at Public Counsel’s 610 S. Ardmore office, but will involve off-site clinic work at Los Angeles County/USC Rand Schrader Clinic and other parts of Los Angeles County as needed. The position has the following responsibilities:
- Carry a personal caseload of public benefits and other client matters, including representing clients in administrative hearings and court;
- Participate in coalitions in the areas of homelessness and public benefits;
- Act as a resource regarding benefits and housing issues within Public Counsel and among our partner agencies;
- Participate in community outreach, including preparing and presenting trainings and doing special projects as assigned; and
- Assist with grant reporting, billing, and outcome tracking.
ESSENTIAL JOB SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Candidates must possess the following:
- Juris Doctor degree from an ABA-approved institution;
- Have 0 to 2 years of experience practicing as a member in good standing of the California Bar (or, pending February 2019 Bar results;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to read, write and speak fluently in Spanish;
- Good client skills and comfort working with indigent clients and people experiencing homelessness;
- Ability to commute throughout Los Angeles County;
- Exceptional ability to prioritize numerous tasks; and
- Strong organizational skills.
In addition, upon employment, candidate must pass tuberculosis and other health and security clearance as required by Los Angeles County Department of Health or other community partners.
Preferred candidates will possess:
- Commitment to trauma-informed advocacy: empathy, responsive listening, restraint from judgment, and demonstration of authentic care and concern;
- Commitments to race equity work and community–based advocacy, and willingness to incorporate race equity principles in practice;
- Knowledge of or experience working with LGBTQIA+ communities and familiarity with issues of particular relevance to LGBTQIA+ communities;
START DATE AND COMPENSATION
This position is available immediately. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package.
Continuous until position is filled.
Email a cover letter, résumé, list of references and brief writing sample to:
Nisha N. Vyas
Please include “Staff Attorney” in subject line. No phone calls please.
PUBLIC COUNSEL IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, gender identity or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.
All qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.