PREVENTING AND ENDING HOMELESSNESS (PEHP), STAFF ATTORNEY
|CLASSIFICATION: Union- Attorney I||SALARY: $60K+DOQ|
|DEPARTMENT: Housing||FLSA STATUS: Exempt|
|REPORTS TO: Directing Attorney||APPLICATION DEADLINE: September 15th|
For more than 40 years Bet Tzedek has set the standard for innovation and excellence in poverty law. In that tradition, Bet Tzedek is seeking a junior attorney to help staff an exciting partnership to provide comprehensive, trauma informed, wrap-around legal services designed to remove barriers faced by Los Angeles County community members experiencing homelessness or who are at-risk of homelessness. This position includes work from home flexibility.
- Provide intake and assessment for potential clients referred through partnership;
- Advocate on behalf of clients on a wide variety of legal issues that may include eviction defense, housing, employment, public benefits, consumer, immigration law, and other issues impacting obtaining and maintaining housing, income, and employment;
- Represent clients in various forums, including administrative law and superior court proceedings;
- Co-counsel with pro bono volunteers to represent clients;
- Collaborate with Development Staff to meet all relevant grant reporting requirements, including helping compile and interpret data and draft narratives.
- Active member of California State Bar in good standing, or licensed in another state and eligible to practice under CRC Rule 9.45 (required);
- Willingness to train and work with volunteer attorneys and students (required);
- Minimum one-to-three years’ experience practicing law (required);
- Spanish-language proficiency (strongly preferred);
- Minimum one-to-two years non-profit legal services experience (preferred);
- Experience in landlord-tenant law, employment law, public benefits law, administrative law, litigation (preferred);
- Demonstrate an understanding and commitment to Bet Tzedek’s mission of equal justice for all and Bet Tzedek’s core values of leadership, community-based advocacy, and innovation;
- Demonstrated commitment to applying principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion in performance of job duties.
How To Apply
- Email letter of interest, resume, and minimum salary requirement to email@example.com. (Subject: “PEHP – Staff Attorney”)
Note: This position is part of a special program created using designated funds; there is no assurance of ongoing funding or employment beyond the period for which the funds are obtained.
To best serve our communities Bet Tzedek seeks a diverse staff with cultural competency reflecting our client populations. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups to apply.