|Position||Full-time Staff Attorney –Health Law Unit
The Public Law Center (PLC)’s Immigration Unit is seeking a full-time attorney who is motivated to defend the defenseless and fight for justice for Orange County’s most vulnerable immigrant communities.
|The Public Law Center (PLC)’s Health Law Unit is seeking an energetic, passionate advocate to join our team in fighting for justice for Orange County’s low-income individuals through innovative, collaborative, community-centered lawyering to address inequities and pursue health access and justice.
PLC’s Health Law Unit provides compassionate direct legal representation, in addition to coordinating and supervising pro bono representation in the following areas: public benefits, insurance coverage, medical billing disputes, disability rights, probate, end-of-life planning and other related issues for low-income families dealing with health-related issues in and near Orange County. The Unit also operates PLC’s AIDS Legal Assistance Project, providing civil legal assistance for people living with HIV/AIDS.
|Qualifications||· Active membership in the California State Bar/Bar Membership pending or eligibility to practice under State Bar Multijurisdictional Practice Program.
· Bilingual English/Spanish or English/Vietnamese preferred
· 1-5 years’ experience, with experience in public benefits and disability rights preferred.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to communicate with a variety of audiences.
· Ability to manage multiple tasks, work independently and as part of a team.
· Must have own transportation, valid CA Drivers license, insurance and good
driving record; travel throughout Orange and neighboring counties may be necessary.
· Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have a valid medical reason for not being fully vaccinated or a sincerely held religious belief preventing vaccination.
|Duties and Responsibilities||· Handle a full caseload of cases on behalf of low-income clients dealing with health issues, including public benefits, insurance coverage, medical billing disputes, disability rights, probate, end-of-life planning and other related issues.
· Represent clients in administrative and court hearings
· Coordinate referrals to other PLC units to provide holistic legal services to low-income clients dealing with health issues
· Participate in collaborative advocacy efforts in coalition with other legal service providers and community partners
· Conduct community education presentations to clients and case workers
· Participate in and help to coordinate legal clinics and workshops
· Represent PLC at legal networking and community outreach events
· Full time position with occasional evening and weekend work required
|Salary & Benefits||· Compensation dependent on experience; range of $58,240 to $71,000
· Competitive benefits provided.
|Please submit resume, cover letter and writing sample (10 pages or less) to
Grace Landa at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no phone calls.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
The Public Law Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.