Staff Attorney – Guardianship & Immigration
CLASSIFICATION: Staff Attorney (Union)
DOQ REPORTS TO: Directing Attorney
APPLICATION DEADLINE: UNTIL FILLED
For more than 40 years Bet Tzedek has been committed to providing free legal services to those who need them most. In that tradition, Bet Tzedek is seeking a determined, organized, and zealous bilingual advocate to represent caregivers seeking appointment as guardian of the children in their care. In addition, this staff attorney will represent unaccompanied immigrant children eligible for Special Immigrant Juvenile Status in state court and immigration proceedings.
- Conduct intake/interview of potential guardians and undocumented children;
- Represent caregivers living in Los Angeles County in Probate Guardianship matters through a mix of advice and counsel, limited scope services, extensive services, and/or court representation services.
- Represent undocumented minors eligible for Special Immigrant Juvenile Status by providing full scope representation in Probate Court, removal proceedings, adjustment of status, and the asylum process, where applicable.
- Prepare matters for pro bono placement, monitor status of placements, and provide technical support to pro bono attorneys.
- Supervise law clerks and volunteers.
- Comply with case management and reporting procedures.
- Active member of California State Bar in good standing.
- Demonstrated commitment to non-profit legal services.
- Minimum of one-year experience in immigration removal defense.
- Fluency or high proficiency in spoken and written Spanish and English (required).
- Willingness to train and work with volunteer attorneys and students (required).
- Experience in asylum advocacy or representing undocumented minors (highly desired).
HOW TO APPLY:
Email letter of interest and resume to apply.A4.email@example.com. (Subject: “KINSHIP/SIJS”)
Note: This position is part of a special program created using designated funds; there is no assurance of ongoing funding or employment beyond the period for which the funds are obtained.
To best serve our communities, Bet Tzedek seeks diverse staff with cultural competency reflecting our client populations. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups to apply