JOB OPPORTUNITY NOTICE
POSITION: STAFF ATTORNEY – Eviction Defense Workgroup
LOCATION: Long Beach
SALARY: $56,000-$69,374.18/ DOE with excellent benefits
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Continuous until position is filled.
The Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA) is the frontline law firm for low-income people in Los Angeles and is currently accepting applications for the position of Attorney. LAFLA seeks to achieve equal justice for poor and low-income people in greater Los Angeles. We change lives through direct representation, systems change, and community education.
The Organization: LAFLA (www.LAFLA.org) is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved – leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people in civil legal matters by providing direct legal representation and other legal assistance for low-income people across the Greater Los Angeles region. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA has over 100 employees with over 70 attorneys. LAFLA operates five neighborhood offices and several off-site locations. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
- Active membership in the California State Bar;
- Knowledge of landlord-tenant, housing law, and the eviction process preferred;
- Litigation and policy experience preferred;
- Demonstrated commitment to serving the needs of low-income persons;
- Demonstrated ability to function professionally and effectively within a highly stressful environment;
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team;
- Ability to work effectively with government agencies, staff, volunteers, students, attorneys, and community members;
- Excellent writing and public speaking skills; and
- Willingness to work beyond a minimum 0 hour workday, including evening and weekend meetings and events, and workweeks in excess of 35 hours when caseload or other obligations so necessitate.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Litigate eviction cases in various Courthouses such as Long Beach, Compton, Inglewood, and/or Santa Monica;
- Interview and counsel clients affected by housing problems;
- Participate in clinics and other community outreach projects;
- Work on policy issue relating to eviction and/or housing;
- Represent subsidized housing clients at administrative hearings and writs; and
- Other duties as
HOW TO APPLY – Please submit a cover letter and resume online to email@example.com. Include “Attorney – Eviction Defense” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD – A one-year probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.