STAFF ATTORNEY, EVICTION DEFENSE -Homeless Advocacy Project
Be part of a critical effort to prevent homelessness in San Francisco. The Justice & Diversity Center of The Bar Association of San Francisco (JDC) advances fairness and equality by providing free legal services to low-income people and educational programs that foster diversity in the legal profession. JDC currently has an exciting opportunity for an Eviction Defense Staff Attorney at its Homeless Advocacy Project (HAP) in San Francisco’s Civic Center/Tenderloin area.
HAP is working to end homelessness in San Francisco, and to reduce the negative effects of homelessness on the individuals and families with whom we work. At HAP, we have found that our work has the greatest impact when we focus on eviction prevention, benefits advocacy and immigration issues. Our clients are individuals and families who are homeless or who are at serious risk of homelessness. While each client comes with their own story of struggle, we give priority to clients who have mental health disabilities, as they often have the most difficulty navigating the legal system without representation. Our office utilizes a holistic approach to the problems our clients face by providing both legal representation and supporting social services.
HAP is a program of the JDC, a non-profit provider of legal services to low-income and indigent San Francisco residents. JDC serves clients by recruiting and training private attorneys and legal support staff to assist individual clients, and by utilizing staff to provide direct representation to clients. HAP is primarily a staff-based project.
About the Job:
The Staff Attorney will provide full-scope legal representation to clients in unlawful detainer proceedings In San Francisco, independently managing a full caseload at all stages of litigation, from initial intake through trial.
The successful candidate will have the following:
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- JD. is required
- Experience representing tenants in unlawful detainer actions strongly preferred
- Experience serving low-income clients and clients who have mental health disabilities
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
- A member of the California State Bar in good standing
- Knowledge and experience representing tenants in unlawful detainers (while we prefer applicants with experience defending Unlawful Detainers, we may consider applicants who have other relevant civil litigation experience.)
- Able to effectively interact with low-income clients and clients who have severe mental health disabilities.
- Able to work collaboratively with co-workers, fellow attorneys and court personnel.
- Able to work independently and make quick decisions while managing multiple projects in a high-volume, fast-paced environment
- Excellent oral, written, and client service skills
- Knowledge of MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Bilingual (Spanish or Chinese) skills are highly desirable
Why Work For Us:
We offer a collaborative work environment, a progressive work culture, and a wonderfully diverse staff. Additionally, we have a standard 35-hour workweek, flexible scheduling (manager’s discretion), and we are a mission and values based organization.
We also offer competitive pay and a generous benefits package that includes: a choice of medical insurance plans, dental insurance, vision insurance, pretax commuter, health, and dependent care accounts, employer paid short- and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, the opportunity to contribute to a retirement account, and more!
To find out more about BASF, JDC and HAP, please visit our website at www.sfbar.org.
JDC is strongly committed to diversity and encourages applications from people who can contribute to our diversity, including people with disabilities.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to: Human Resources, BASF/JDC, 301 Battery Street, Third Floor, San Francisco, CA 94111 or email to BASFjobs@sfbar.org. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled, but the hiring process will begin immediately, with the position slated to start as soon as January 2, 2020.
No phone calls please. Due to the number of resumes we receive each day, we will not be able to respond individually with the status of your application.St