Position Description: Staff Attorney – Domestic Violence Restraining Order Program
Salary Range: $72,000 – 80,000 – Exempt
Location: South County, San Diego
Apply Here: https://sdvlp.org/employment-opportunities/
The Staff Attorney for San Diego Volunteer Lawyer Program’s Domestic Violence Restraining Order Program provides top-quality legal advice and representation to low-income San Diegans seeking domestic violence restraining orders. The Staff Attorney is also responsible for mentoring, training, recruiting, and supervising the work of pro bono attorneys providing representation to SDVLP clients; performing community outreach and education to the legal community and local social service providers; and supervising the work of non-attorney staff.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Established in 1983, San Diego Volunteer Lawyer Program, Inc. (SDVLP) is the oldest and most comprehensive pro bono legal services program in San Diego County. SDVLP’s mission is to provide equal access to the justice system by serving as a bridge between indigent and other disadvantaged people in San Diego County and the volunteer lawyers who are willing to donate their time and resources.
Our team of talented and passionate advocates is collegial, supportive, and committed to providing top-quality legal services to indigent, vulnerable San Diegans.
- Must be a member in good standing of the California Bar.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must have excellent mentoring and teaching skills.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to successfully work as part of a team, and with the public, volunteers, court personnel, government agencies, and partner organizations.
- Ability to work independently and follow through on assignments with accuracy and minimal direction.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends as required by events and deadlines.
- Excellent Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income and disadvantaged people.
- Ability to travel to court hearings and SDVLP’s other offices throughout San Diego County, as necessary.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
The Staff Attorney will be responsible for:
- Advising clients, including preparing self-represented litigants for domestic violence restraining order hearings.
- Mentoring, training, and supervising pro bono attorneys drafting requests for domestic violence restraining orders, and representing SDVLP clients in their restraining order hearings.
- Recruiting new pro bono attorney volunteers through community outreach and attendance at networking events.
- Developing and maintaining written training materials for pro bono attorneys.
- Maintaining a small representation caseload in domestic violence restraining order cases.
- Maintaining knowledge of other legal services programs to provide targeted referrals for issues outside the scope of SDVLP programs.
- Training and supervising non-attorney staff.
- Managing and compiling statistical data and assisting with the drafting of narrative reports to funding sources.
- Engaging in other tasks and projects as needed to further SDVLP’s mission.
Salary & Benefits:
- Salary range is $72,000 – $80,000, DOE.
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits; ability to participate in 401(K) with employer contribution.
- Sick, vacation, and holiday pay provided.
- No billable hours requirement.
SDVLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, and any other status protected by state or federal law.