|Position||Full-time Staff Attorney – Consumer Law Unit|
|Organization Description||The Public Law Center (PLC)’s Consumer Law Unit is seeking an energetic, passionate advocate to join our team in fighting for justice for low-income consumers in Orange County through innovative, collaborative, community-centered lawyering to address inequities and pursue economic justice.
PLC’s Consumer Law Unit provides high quality direct legal representation, in addition to coordinating and supervising pro bono representation in the following areas: debt collection defense, student loans, identity theft, bankruptcy, predatory lending, and home equity scams. The Unit conducts courthouse based legal clinics (virtually during the pandemic) in the U.S. District and Bankruptcy Courts. The Consumer Unit also operates PLC’s Elder Justice project, working with older adults in Orange County to prevent and recover from elder financial abuse.
|Qualifications||· Active membership in the California State Bar/Bar Membership pending or eligibility to practice under State Bar Multijurisdictional Practice Program.
· Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
· 3-5 years experience in consumer law or civil litigation preferred.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Strong public speaking skills and ability to communicate with a variety of audiences, from community members to pro bono attorneys.
· Ability to manage multiple tasks, work independently and as part of a team.
· Must have own transportation, valid CA Drivers license, insurance and good
driving record; travel throughout Orange and neighboring counties may be necessary.
· Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless the applicant has a valid medical reason for not being fully vaccinated or a sincerely held religious belief preventing vaccination
|Duties and Responsibilities||· Handle a full caseload of cases on behalf of low-income primarily Latinx clients dealing with consumer law issues, including debt collection defense, bankruptcy, homeownership scams, and other civil litigation.
· Represent clients in state and federal court proceedings.
· Participate in and help coordinate legal clinics and workshops.
· Coordinate referrals to other units to provide holistic legal services to low-income clients.
· Participate in collaborative advocacy efforts in coalition with other legal service providers and community partners.
· Conduct community education presentations to clients, partner agencies, and service providers.
· Oversee volunteer attorneys and law students through training, technical support and general supervision.
· Assist with periodic compilation of data related to grant funding.
· Represent PLC at legal networking and community outreach events.
· Full time position with occasional evening and weekend work required.
|Salary & Benefits||· Compensation dependent on experience; range of $58,240 to $70,000
· Competitive benefits provided
|Please submit resume, cover letter and writing sample (10 pages or less) to
Grace Landa at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no phone calls.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
The Public Law Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
601 Civic Center Drive West ∙ Santa Ana, CA 92701-4002 ∙ (714) 541-1010 ext. 272 ∙ Fax (714) 541-5157