East Bay Community Law Center (EBCLC) is a non-profit legal services organization, the community-based clinical program for U.C. Berkeley Law School, and one of the Bay Area’s largest and most effective systems disrupters. With a dual service and teaching mission, EBCLC is a racial justice organization committed to building a culturally diverse workplace, centered on equity. With about 80 staff, 150 law students a year, and a nearly $10 million annual budget, EBCLC is the largest provider of free legal services in Alameda County, providing multimodal, collaborative, and holistic legal services to over 8,000 clients annually and engaging in legislative and policy advocacy at the state and local level.
The Housing Practice Staff Attorney/Clinical Supervisor represents low-income tenants in eviction lawsuits, advocates for tenants encountering a broad range of housing-related legal problems, and contributes to the creation of more just and humane housing policies for Alameda County tenants, while simultaneously supervising and training law students. This position requires an excellent advocate with strong writing and organizational skills who has the ability to work well in a fast-paced, high-volume litigation setting, has experience providing direct legal services to low-income people, and is committed to mentoring the next generation of legal advocates.
- Represent low-income tenants in unlawful detainer cases, subsidized housing hearings, rent board hearings, and other civil proceedings
- Supervise weekly evening Tenants’ Rights Workshops, advising and advocating for tenants regarding a broad range of housing-related legal problems, including eviction defense, code enforcement, rent control, public housing (conventional and section 8), and fair housing
- Assist pro per tenants in mediation and settlement negotiations at our virtual courthouse clinic
- Conduct outreach and provide pro per assistance to tenants at self-help and community sites
- Teach, train, and supervise law students, including substantive law and skills trainings, individual and group case reviews, day-to-day monitoring of individual work, mentoring, and student recruitment.
- Work collaboratively with other staff at EBCLC to provide holistic, wrap-around services
- Participate in collaborative partnerships with other community and legal services organizations providing similar services
- Complete administrative tasks, such as those related to grant management and reporting
- Participate in ongoing professional development to improve client services and student supervision
- Additional tasks as assigned by Supervisor
- D. required, member of the California State Bar in good standing
- Ability to manage a demanding case load; excellent time management, priority-setting and organizational skills
- Excellent written and oral advocacy skills
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse range of groups, including people of color, immigrants, non-English speakers, people with mental disabilities, law students, service providers, government employees, community partners, elected officials, and law school faculty
- Strong interpersonal skills, flexibility, and demonstrated ability to work well independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work successfully in a high-volume, dynamic environment
- Experience with, or strong interest in, law student supervision and training
Salary and Benefits
Starting salary for this exempt position is $68,000 – $90,000 based on law school graduation date, as dictated by the EBCLC salary scale.
Benefits include fully paid health insurance (medical, dental, and vision) for employees and their dependents, life and disability insurance, and generous paid leave (vacation, sick, and holidays); EBCLC also offers flexible spending accounts for qualified health, dependent care, and commute expenditures; and retirement options.
Due to COVID-19, all EBCLC employees are currently working remotely. Please note, however, that the Housing Staff Attorney/Clinical Supervisor may need to attend in-person court proceedings when required by the court. Any necessary use of the office must be pre-approved. The expectation is that the Staff Attorney will work in our office in Berkeley, California when it is safe to do. EBCLC will provide the necessary equipment to fulfill the job responsibilities of working from home.
Working at EBCLC
EBCLC is strongly committed to advancing justice through education and advocacy, and the need to transform legal services and legal education. Please take time to review EBCLC’s mission, vision, programs, and website, and ensure that your cover letter reflects how your background, experience, and expertise have prepared you to be successful in performing the responsibilities of the position.
Additionally, EBCLC is committed to building a culturally diverse workplace centered on equity and providing an inclusive, welcoming, and culturally responsive environment for all members of our staff, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.
To achieve this goal, EBCLC works actively to improve our office climate, systems and structures, communications, and community engagement to create an inclusive and respectful workplace where differences are acknowledged and valued. In your cover letter, please address how your personal background and experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to contribute to our commitment to cultural responsiveness and diversity amongst our staff.
We strongly encourage individuals from traditionally underrepresented communities to apply. EBCLC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior contact with the criminal legal system, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Interested applicants should submit an application by visiting https://eastbaycommunitylawcenter.easyapply.co/. EBCLC will review applications on a rolling basis. Application materials should include a cover letter, resume, short writing sample, and names/contact information for two professional references.