San Luis Obispo Legal Assistance Foundation (SLOLAF) is seeking a full-time Staff Attorney for its Civil Law Services programs. The Staff Attorney is responsible for managing their own caseload under the supervision of the Legal Director and with the support of a legal assistant. The Staff Attorney provides services ranging from advice and referrals to full representation depending on the circumstances. The Staff Attorney assists the Legal Director in determining level of services to be provided factoring in SLOLAF’s mission, funding, and capacity. The position is based in our office in San Luis Obispo and will require travel throughout the County for court appearances, meetings, and community outreach.
San Luis Obispo Legal Assistance Foundation (SLOLAF) is a non-profit legal aid organization founded in 1992 by community leaders who recognized the need for help for San Luis Obispo County residents with critical legal needs who could not afford an attorney. Our mission is to provide legal services and resources to people in need, and our vision is legal access for all. Since 1992, SLOLAF has served thousands of those in our community in the greatest need, including seniors, veterans, disabled adults, and other vulnerable populations. We serve low-income San Luis Obispo County residents, regardless of immigration status, primarily in the areas of housing, eviction defense, tenants’ rights, elder abuse prevention and restraining orders, government benefits appeals, conservatorships of the person, guardianships of the person, consumer issues and planning for incapacity for seniors. We prioritize keeping people safe, housed, and financially stable. In January 2023 we will begin our new Family Law Services program, assisting low-income survivors of intimate partner violence and sexual assault.
Our staff and volunteer attorneys provide direct representation, assistance with self-representation, legal advice, community education and outreach, and referrals to other community resources in English and Spanish. We use third-party interpreters for other languages.
We maximize our impact by coupling direct services with community education and outreach and we maintain close relationships with community partners who serve the same client base. We also provide education to our staff on resources available in the community so that we can offer a holistic approach to solving our clients’ legal problems.
SLOLAF offer generous employee benefits to promote a healthy work-life balance. We encourage our team to nurture their mental and physical health to most effectively serve clients. We value community involvement and allow our staff time in their workday for approved professional development.
As a Staff Attorney at SLOLAF you will:
- Interview prospective clients
- Provide legal advice and help evaluate level of services to offer ranging from advice only to full representation
- Represent clients in all phases of court litigation, including research, drafting pleadings and briefs, trial, and appeal
- Attend community meetings, community education events and community workshops
- Develop positive relationships with clients, co-workers and community partners
- Handle an increasingly complex caseload
- Assist in the training and supervision of advocates, law students and volunteers as appropriate
- Develop creative methods, litigious and non-litigious for dealing with recurring client problems
- Use appropriate software in the performance of professional legal work including Clio, Westlaw, Essential Forms and Microsoft Office
- Comply with all program and grant requirements
As a Staff Attorney, you have:
- License to practice law in the State of California
- License to drive in California or otherwise have a reliable means of transportation to travel to court, meetings, and outreach events
- Passion for SLOLAF’s mission & serving those in need
- Ability to communicate clearly and respectfully with those who may have educational, language, cognitive impairments or other barriers to understanding
- Ability to meet deadlines and perform multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written advocacy, legal analysis and legal research skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others
- Spanish proficiency preferred but not required
Salary and Benefits:
Starts at $69,300-82,500 annually, depending on experience (exempt)
In furtherance of our commitment to supporting a healthy work-life balance for our employees while providing high quality legal services to our diverse clientele, SLOLAF is proud to offer our employees a generous array of benefits. Benefits included with this position include:
- Fourteen (14) Paid holidays:
- New Year’s Day
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Lincoln’s Birthday
- President’s Day
- Cesar Chavez Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Native American Day
- Veterans Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Day after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Day
- Paid vacation, accruing throughout the year (available after accrued):
- 80 hours per year for years 1-2 of employment;
- 120 hours per year for years 3-5 of employment; and
- 160 hours per year for year 6 of employment and beyond.
- Paid Sick Leave: Eighty (80) hours annually (available after 90 days of employment, hours reset every January 1);
- Insurance Coverage (available on the first of the month after one full month of employment):
- Medical insurance: SLOLAF currently pays $750 toward an Anthem Blue Cross medical insurance policy of your choice from the list of plans available to SLOLAF. At this time SLOLAF-paid medical insurance is employee-only coverage, but employees are welcome to add dependents to their plan at their own expense;
- Vision insurance paid 100% by SLOLAF (employee-only coverage, but employees are welcome to add dependents to their plan at their own expense);
- Dental insurance paid 100% by SLOLAF (employee-only coverage, but employees are welcome to add dependents to their plan at their own expense );
- Life insurance ($50,000 benefit) paid 100% by SLOLAF (employee-only);
- Long-term Disability Insurance paid 100% by SLOLAF (employee-only);
- Professional liability insurance paid 100% by SLOLAF;
- Simple IRA retirement plan with a guaranteed 2% of gross pay contributed by SLOLAF each payperiod and capacity to make additional pre-tax deductions from your paycheck. Eligibility for this benefit begins on January 1 of each year pursuant to SLOLAF’s plan documents;
- California State Bar annual dues paid 100% by SLOLAF;
- San Luis Obispo County Bar Association annual dues paid 100% by SLOLAF;
- Cell phone allowance of $25 per month; and
- Relevant and necessary continuing legal education fees for online or in-person training and/or conferences that are pre-approved by the Executive Director.
In addition, as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, SLOLAF is considered a qualifying employer for purposes of higher education loan forgiveness programs. Please visit https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service for more information including the requirements for qualification.
About San Luis Obispo County:
Located on the Central Coast, half-way between Los Angeles and San Francisco, it’s easy to see why Oprah Winfrey dubbed San Luis Obispo (SLO) “The Happiest Town.” Downtown SLO is a humming, pedestrian friendly zone of shops, restaurants and galleries with a fabulous Thursday Night Farmers’ Market. SLO’s wine country lies five minutes south of downtown, putting two dozen premier wineries within easy reach. There are more than 25 miles of easily accessible trails in the city of SLO. SLO County has more than 80 miles of Pacific coastline. In a typical year, SLO sees 315 sunny days. SLO has the fourth lowest commute time in the state and is listed as one of the top 10 places to retire in the US. For more information about the benefits of living in SLO, check out this report or come see for yourself!
- No calls please
- Email cover letter (required), professional references, and resume, in PDF format, to SLOLAF Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Position is available immediately and posting will remain open until filled.
At SLOLAF, a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace is one where all clients, employees and volunteers feel valued and respected, regardless of their gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, sexual orientation or identity, education or disability. We are committed to a nondiscriminatory approach and provide equal opportunity for employment and advancement in all of our departments and programs.