Legal Assistance for Seniors (LAS) is a non-profit agency serving Alameda County residents who are 60 years of age and older. We provide legal advice and information, representation in court and administrative hearings, referrals to other community resources, and community education and training in the following areas: prevention of elder abuse, public benefits, housing, guardianships, naturalization, and health law.
Through its Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program (HICAP), LAS provides individual counseling and community education to Medicare beneficiaries in the areas of Medicare, supplemental coverage including Medicare Advantage and prescription drug plans, low income assistance programs, and long-term care insurance.
This is a full time Staff Attorney position at Legal Assistance for Seniors.
A LAS Staff Attorney provides counsel, advice, and representation to LAS clients. The staff attorney is responsible for providing excellent service to clients and callers with legal issues. Job duties also include community education presentations, senior center intakes, and staying up to date in the area in which the attorney practices and in other areas in which LAS provides services. The staff attorney is expected to maintain their own caseload and assist in the casework in other areas as necessary. The staff attorney attends weekly case review meetings. This position will be responsible for making home visits to seniors in Alameda County and for representing seniors in court. This position will be cross trained in other areas of law as needed.
**LAS is currently following public health recommendations and providing services remotely. Occasional home visits are still necessary to obtain client signatures or to exchange documents.
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Maintain an appropriate case load. Support agency advocates and attorneys in other case areas.
- Travel to home visits, courthouses, senior centers, and community education presentations throughout Alameda County and adjacent counties.
- Participate as a member of the legal team and coordinate with colleagues, court staff, and outside agencies to provide comprehensive service and representation to clients. Job duties are often performed at high stress levels requiring the employee to function effectively and independently while maintaining good working relationships.
- Participate in weekly case review, monthly staff meeting and other agency functions.
- Represent LAS in the legal community, to referring agencies, to funders and the broader community.
- Maintain accurate client files and client contracts. Regularly maintain the data and other records for each case.
- Work closely with and under the direction of the Legal Director and Supervising Attorney.
- Provide support for the agency’s annual Elder Abuse Conference
- Must be admitted to, and in good standing with the California State Bar
- Preferred areas of experience: Elder Abuse, Domestic Violence or Housing
- Must have a valid California driver’s license, current automobile insurance, and access to a vehicle
- Must be able to drive to out of office appointments and make home visits.
- Must demonstrate a commitment to serving the underserved; experience with seniors desirable
- Must have compassion and patience, and the ability to work with clients who have special needs or problems
- Must be able to work independently and as a team member
- Must be able to multi-task and work effectively in a fast-paced, diverse legal environment
- Must be able to sit for extended periods
- Bilingual ability desired
- Computer proficient, including Power Point, Word, Excel and database knowledge
- Punctual and efficient with time use
Working conditions & physical requirements
- Ability to sit for extended periods, use of phone and computer systems for long periods of time. Alternate between sitting and motion tasks frequently.
- Ability to travel throughout Alameda County on a regular basis.
- Extensive computer use.
- Ability to multitask in a busy and diverse office environment
Exempt salary of $4,166.67 to $4,500.00 per month of $54,080 to 59,080 annually depending on experience, 35 hours per week. Comfortable benefits package.
To Apply: : Please email a cover letter and resume in a PDF format to email@example.com with the subject line “Staff Attorney.” In your cover letter please address the following:
LAS serves an extremely diverse population. Our clients include seniors, people with disabilities, low income members of our community, LGBTQ individuals, and people of color. How do you think your experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to contribute to our commitment to cultural humility and diversity? Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question.
Legal Assistance for Seniors is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on ancestry, age, color, disability (physical and mental, includes HIV and AIDS), genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition (gender characteristics, cancer or record or history of cancer), military or veteran status, national origin, race, religion (includes religious dress and grooming), sex/gender (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and/or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, request for FMLA (Family and Medical Leave Act), or any other factor that is not related to the position.