POSITION: Staff Attorney
About Wage Justice Center:
The Wage Justice Center (“WJC”) is a 501c3 nonprofit dedicated to representing low-income
individuals who have experienced wage theft or other violations of their rights under the Labor Code.
WJC is the only non-profit legal services organization in California that specializes in enforcing the
wage judgments of low-income workers. For over 10 years, WJC has run various legal services and
programs including: commercial litigation against employers who have engaged in corporate shell
games to avoid paying their wage debt; a direct services legal program for day laborers; periodic
legal-rights workshops for community groups and workers; training and technical support services for
other legal service non-profits.
WJC seeks a talented and creative full-time Staff Attorney with two to five years of experience.
Among other responsibilities, the Staff Attorney’s duties will include the following:
- Civil litigation practice, including extensive discovery and motion practice;
- Legal research and drafting of briefs, pleadings, and legal memoranda;
- Investigation and analysis of cases for affirmative litigation;
- Providing legal advice and counsel to Wage Justice Center clients;
- Providing trainings, community outreach and education to individuals, local community-based
organizations and worker advocates;
- Performing all other duties as needed that are aligned with WJC’s mission in enforcing
- Admitted to practice law in California and in good standing with the California State Bar;
- Minimum of 2 to 5 years of experience;
- Litigation experience, including discovery and motion practice;
- Demonstrated commitment and experience in public interest law and social justice;
- Excellent written and oral advocacy skills;
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a team with other attorneys and
- Ability to multi-task and manage a high volume of cases;
- Ability to coordinate and collaborate successfully with other groups and organizations;
- Detail oriented; strong organizational skills and possess professionalism;
- Very favorable consideration will be given to applicants who have familiarity with
employment or creditor/debtor law issues.
- Applicants who are bilingual Spanish speakers are encouraged to apply.
This is a full-time position that includes a generous benefits package. Salary is commensurate with
experience. The salary range is $49,000 – $62,000.
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and a writing sample (preferably a legal
brief or memorandum that primarily reflects your work) to Ana@WageJustice.Org .