The Organization: The mission of the Los Angeles Center for Law and Justice (LACLJ) is to secure justice for survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault and empower them to create their own future. Located in East Los Angeles, LACLJ is a 35-person non-profit law firm serving survivors throughout Los Angeles County. LACLJ’s primary areas of practice are family law, immigration law, and criminal justice (victim) advocacy. LACLJ offers clients an integrated service model providing both legal and supportive services to clients. LACLJ is committed to a trauma informed and culturally responsive workplace and service provision.
The Position: LACLJ seeks a staff attorney with a strong commitment to public interest and social justice advocacy to join our team. This Staff Attorney will represent clients in family law cases, primarily cases involving child custody such as restraining orders, dissolution, and parentage actions. In addition, this position offers the opportunity to:
- Represent clients on other types of matters as needed, including criminal justice advocacy;
- Provide presentations and trainings to community partners and client communities on family law
and other legal issues;
- Develop relationships and collaborate with a range of public and private community partners to
address systemic barriers facing LACLJ’s client community; and
- Engage in other tasks and projects that further LACLJ’s mission and operations.
Essential Job Skills and Abilities
All candidates must have:
- J.D. degree from an ABA accredited law school
- A member in good standing of the California Bar
- Solid written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, and an ability to work collaboratively with a dynamic team
- Ability to read, write and speak Spanish
Preferred candidates will have one or more of the following:
- Commitment to trauma-informed advocacy, empathy, responsive listening, and demonstration
of authentic care and concern
- Previous experience working with survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault or human
trafficking and/or immigrant populations.
- Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income people
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
- Work will be performed in an office setting at a workstation, or remotely due to COVID.
Currently the LACLJ staff is working remotely.
- This position requires concentration on tasks while facing distractions.
- This position requires attendance at meetings, both in and outside the LACLJ offices.
- Use of office machines such as computers, photocopiers, and telephones.
- Ability to work at and travel between the LACLJ main office at 5301 Whittier Blvd. in East Los
Angeles and other locations such as various Los Angeles Superior Court locations and our
Salary and Benefits: Salary individual ranges from $60,000 to $68,000 per year depending on
experience. LACLJ offers full-time staff a 35-hour work week, bilingual pay, casual office environment,
and a generous benefits package and paid vacation leave including 100% employer-paid medical (Kaiser),
dental, vision, long-term disability, life insurance and the option to participate in a 403(b) retirement
plan and dependent and health flex savings accounts (FSA).
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to Marilyn Florentino, Office Administrator, via email to
email@example.com with the position title in the subject header. Applications will be accepted until the
position is filled.
Los Angeles Center for Law and Justice is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on
the basis of race, religion, color, sex, disability, or sexual orientation.