JOB ANNOUNCEMENT-IMPERIAL COUNTY STAFF ATTORNEY
Elder Law & Advocacy seeks a staff attorney for its Imperial County office. The position is based in Imperial County and offers an opportunity to work on a variety of civil legal services cases. The office is located in the superior court in the city of El Centro.
Elder Law & Advocacy is a legal services and Medicare counseling organization that has been serving older adults since 1978. Elder Law & Advocacy has offices in San Diego and Imperial Counties, and employs nine attorneys and another twelve program and support staff.
The organization prides itself on a collaborative approach to client issues, a supportive environment for staff and an excellent retention rate. The newest staff attorney will be joining an organization which takes an innovative and responsive approach to emerging issues affecting older adults.
POSITION TITLE: Staff Attorney
EXPERIENCE LEVEL: Admission to the California Bar Recently admitted attorneys with some volunteer experience are welcome to apply
APPLICATION DEADLINE: November 29, 2019
START DATE: December 2019; some flexibility available for start date
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT: Full Time
SALARY RANGE & BENEFITS: Competitive salary plus benefits
POSITION REPORTS TO: Director of Legal Services; the Executive Director for some projects
SUMMARY OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Act as Lead Attorney for several programs serving older adults
- Conduct client interviews to assess legal needs
- Provide legal advice and counsel to older adult residents of Imperial County
- Conduct community education presentations and attend other community events
- Utilize an electronic case management system
- Provide input for contract and grant applications and reports
- Attend monthly attorney staff meetings and other meetings at the organization’s San Diego offices
- Assist in the training of legal volunteers
- D. and current admission to the California State Bar
- Experience with or interest in providing direct legal services to primarily low-income individuals
- Capacity to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently
- Bondable, insurable driver with valid California State Driver’s License
- Eligible for professional liability insurance
- Bilingual (English & Spanish) helpful but not required
POSITIONS REPORTING TO THIS POSITION:
- Program Assistant(s)
- Legal volunteers
Submit resume with three professional or educational references and one writing sample to: email@example.com or by mail: Elder Law & Advocacy 5151 Murphy Canyon Road, Suite 100, San Diego, CA 92123, Attn: Hiring Manager.