Special Events Manager (Full-Time, Exempt)
Agency Description: Asian Americans Advancing Justice – Los Angeles, was established in 1983 with broad-based support and has become the leading organization in the region dedicated to providing the diverse Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander (AAHNPI) community with civil rights advocacy and multilingual, culturally-sensitive legal services and education. Advancing Justice-LA seeks to serve the most vulnerable members of the community while also building a strong AANHPI voice for civil rights and social justice.
Position Summary: Advancing Justice-LA seeks a motivated, detail-oriented, energetic and creative Special Events Manager who will be part of a six-person development team that raises the organization’s over $ 11 million annual budget. Reporting to the Executive Director and Vice President of Program Development, the Special Events Manager will partner with the development team and Advancing Justice-LA staff to manage and execute the organization’s key special events including the organization’s Anniversary Dinner.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Plan and execute 3 established fundraising events per year including the Anniversary Dinner, Advisory Council Luncheon and Orange County Gala.
- Convene and coordinate the Board Dinner Fundraising committee to support and expand the Anniversary Dinner.
- Design and implement a plan to solicit corporate gifts and sponsorships for the various events.
- Manage all logistics for event production, including programming, materials development, registration, VIP reception, silent auction, opportunity drawing and training and coordination of staff/volunteers.
- Manage the donation process including creation of solicitation materials for donors, acknowledgement correspondence, financial tracking of funds and database management.
- Assess, plan, implement and/or support other fundraising and donor cultivation events, as appropriate.
- Partner with leadership and other development staff on front-end planning and strategy for the Advancing Justice Conference, as needed (next conference will be in 2020).
- Partner with Development staff on other fundraising efforts including individual/online giving and planned giving as needed.
- 3-5 years of progressively responsible development experience at a nonprofit required, with a demonstrated track record in special events management.
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to effectively communicate with diplomacy and tact.
- Proven ability to work independently with the skills to handle multiple projects on various timelines;
- Strong computer skills in MS Office programs and donor databases;
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker;
- Knowledge of AANHPI donors in California desirable;
- Commitment to social justice with a working knowledge of the AANHPI communities preferred;
- Flexibility to work some nights and weekends;
- California driver’s license, insurance and access to a car required.
Salary will be negotiated, DOE. Excellent benefit package includes parking, medical, dental and vision insurance.
Position will remain open until filled. Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, references, and salary requirements to:
Human Resources, Attn: Development Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org
Asian Americans Advancing Justice – LA, 1145 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90017, Fax: (213) 977-7595.
Asian Americans Advancing Justice – Los Angeles is an Equal Opportunity Employer.