Review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
ABOUT LEGAL SERVICES FOR CHILDREN
Founded in 1975, Legal Services for Children (“LSC”) is one of the country’s first non-profit law firms dedicated to providing free legal representation and social work services to children. Our mission is to ensure that all children in the San Francisco Bay Area are raised in a safe environment with equal access to a meaningful education and other services that are necessary to thrive and grow. We believe that youth deserve positive alternatives to unnecessary placement in foster care, juvenile justice facilities, and immigration detention. LSC pioneered the interdisciplinary approach that is considered a best practice in juvenile law today. We deploy attorney-social worker teams to assist Bay Area children who need to access the legal system to stabilize or improve their lives. LSC’s attorneys represent children in legal matters that involve guardianship, dependency, school discipline, immigration, and other civil legal matters. Our social workers provide crisis intervention, case management, counseling, and psychosocial assessments. LSC staff also engage in policy and advocacy projects aimed at advancing the rights of children.
To promote social justice and best serve our clients, LSC is committed to maintaining a diverse staff and providing services with cultural humility. We are committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion and ensuring a workplace where staff can flourish and grow professionally, and well beyond. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups including People of Color and LGBTQ individuals to apply. Bilingual/bicultural candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
ABOUT THE POSITION
This social worker will:
- The social worker will provide services to children and youth residing in San Francisco and Oakland primarily working on the guardianship and education teams. This includes maintaining consistent contact with clients, their caretakers, and extended community to ensure that the children and young people served are receiving appropriate health, educational, and personal support.
- Culturally appropriate assessment, case management and client advocacy services will be provided by the social worker as part of our social worker-attorney interdisciplinary team. Primary responsibilities include conducting psychosocial assessments; completing home assessments; follow up planning; ongoing case management; and attendance at court appearances.
- LCSW supervision will be provided.
- MSW from an accredited school of social work.
- Energy, optimism and passion for serving children and youth.
- Strong clinical skills and a commitment to providing culturally competent services.
- Experience serving youth impacted by trauma, including survivors of child abuse, human trafficking, and oppressive systems
- Ability to work collaboratively across disciplines and with government agencies, social service providers and other stakeholders.
- Experience and comfort with youth in both individual and group settings.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize workload in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience and comfort with speaking to youth in both individual and group settings.
- Experience with MS Office applications, including Excel and Word.
- Fluency in English and Spanish is strongly preferred.
Please note that due to COVID19, some employees at Legal Services for Children (LSC) are working remotely but with options and expectations to come into the office when necessary. LSC is currently working on a gradual return to office plan. This position will be eligible for a “hybrid” model in which the person can work some of the time outside of the office, even after we have fully reopened.
This position is in a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 20.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
Salary is commensurate with experience, ranging from $63,000-$89,000. Benefits include fully paid health insurance (medical, dental, and vision), retirement contribution and generous paid leave (vacation, sick, holiday, and sabbatical). LSC also offers a flexible spending account for qualified health expenditures.
Please send cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Social Worker” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please address the following in order for your application to be considered:
LSC’s clientele is extremely diverse, and the majority of our clients are low income youth of color. To ensure that our agency is best serving these children, LSC strives to promote an evolving set of behaviors and attitudes amongst our staff, as well as policies that enable us to work effectively in all cross-cultural situations, with clients, with our coworkers, and with the community. We see this as a commitment to enhance the provision of our services to all clients; to raise the level of positive client outcomes; and to create an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued. How do you think your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to contribute to our commitment to cultural humility and diversity amongst our staff? Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, applying various aspects of your life and personal experiences.