BayLegal is Hiring – Social Work Manager – Oakland, CA
BayLegal seeks an experienced Social Worker to help lead our dynamic social work practice – collaborating with our legal teams to help clients stay engaged during the legal process and gain safety, housing stability, financial independence, and healthcare; building connections in the community to promote the health and safety of low-income clients and client communities
Organization: Bay Area Legal Aid (BayLegal) ensures fairness in the civil justice system for the most vulnerable members of our community. From Silicon Valley to Napa Valley, we help clients protect their livelihoods, their health, and their families. Our clients include the working poor, families with children, foster youth, seniors, immigrants, veterans, and persons with disabilities. Through our regional county offices, our mobile advocacy clinics, and our nationally-recognized Legal Advice Line, BayLegal prevents domestic violence and sexual assault, increases economic stability, protects consumers, expands access to healthcare, and prevents homelessness. For our clients, BayLegal makes the difference between staying in poverty and thriving toward a brighter future.
BayLegal Social Work Practice: BayLegal’s practice is rooted in the belief that all of our clients are strong, independent, and capable, each deserving of love and respect. BayLegal has a collaborative practice that engages attorneys and social workers in addressing the barriers that our clients face in getting their needs met. We honor their stories by creating space for their voices to be heard. BayLegal’s social workers are active members of our legal practice helping to unpack the multitude of issues – trauma, homelessness, threats to safety, mental illness-behavioral health and healthcare, and service disconnection – that obscure the legal issue or make it difficult for clients to engage. Our social workers engage clients to support them in identifying their goals for stability and safety and work together to identify resources and providers that meet their needs. Clients are met where they live, shelters, parks, homes, and in periods of crisis.
Position: The Social Work Manager serves as a member of BayLegal’s senior management team reporting directly to the Director of Program and Advocacy and Executive Director. In this position, you will be responsible for supporting a collaborative relationship between BayLegal’s attorneys and social workers to improve client outcomes through enhanced client engagement and well-being, and ensuring overall effective and high quality social work services. As Social Work Manager you will lead a passionate social work team, that currently includes full-time social workers embedded in our Housing Preservation and Homelessness Prevention, Youth Justice, and Social Security Disability Rights teams, as well as MSW interns working with our Interpersonal Violence Prevention practice. As a member of the senior management team, you will play an active role in helping to determine the future direction and vision of BayLegal’s integrated social work practice and supporting BayLegal’s overall goal setting and operations to ensure we fulfill our mission.
- Supervising Social Worker staff and interns: Oversee and coordinate the delivery of high quality social work services
- Conduct regular case strategy meetings to discuss client engagement and advocacy strategies, review active and closed cases for quality services and skills development;
- Lead and support social workers in identifying important and emerging issues facing the client community;
- Conduct staff evaluations and engage in social worker staff professional development;
- Track relevant social work practice developments and outcomes, and inform
- Develop and oversee the quality of BayLegal’s Social Work Unit resource
- Lead MSW Intern Field Placement program, including supervision of
- Participate in hiring, promotion and discipline related matters and decisions.
- Serving BayLegal clients: Maintain a limited active caseload primarily focused (at least initially) on serving BayLegal’s youth clients;
- Developing broader advocacy strategies: Collaborate with attorney managers and supervisors to develop appropriate advocacy strategies, including community engagement and policy
- Conducting and Coordinating Training: Conduct and coordinate staff trainings on topics related to social work practice, client engagement, and healthy
Working with BayLegal’s Development and Communications team:
- Identify and assisting with pursing funding opportunities,
- Assist in reporting on social work successes and work for grant reports; and
- Oversee compliance with grants and contracts that support the social work practice; and
- Assist with communications with staff and stakeholders regarding BayLegal’s social work practice, successes and importance.
Participating in BayLegal’s senior management team:
- Support BayLegal’s mission, goals and
- Perform additional duties as assigned by the Director of Program and Advocacy, Executive Director, or her
- Advanced degree in social work, social welfare, marriage, family and child counseling, counseling psychology, or social psychology
- Licensure (e.g. LCSW, LMFT)
- Five or more years of practice as a social worker or in a related
- Direct services experience, particularly in areas related to BayLegal’s client population
- Exceptional verbal, interpersonal, writing, presentation, and organizational skills
- Experience developing projects and leading diverse teams
- Strong, demonstrated leadership and supervisorial skills
- An interest in being part of an interdisciplinary team with attorneys to support clients
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle
- Experience working in a variety of settings in the field with individuals who have experienced homelessness, who have physical or mental health disabilities, are survivors of domestic violence, are current or former foster youth, and/or those impacted by complex
- In-depth knowledge of, and experience working for or collaborating with, social services agencies, housing support services, legal services, and/or mental health providers in the Bay
Compensation and Benefits: We offer a diverse, family friendly environment, and compensation based on competitive public interest salaries along with a generous benefits package which includes 100% employer covered medical, dental, and life insurance for employees and 40-50% for dependents; long term disability insurance; stipends for bilingual employees; student debt repayment program; dependent childcare employer contribution program, and a 401k retirement plan following first year. Generous paid leave policy includes: sick leave; parental leave; 14 holidays each year and vacation (starting at 13 days and increasing with additional years of employment).
Applications: Bay Area Legal Aid thrives on our diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, persons of color, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Please send (1) cover letter including responding to question below (does not need to be limited to one page), (2) resume, (3) references, and (4) writing sample to: Human Resources Department, e-mail to email@example.com. Please reference Social Work Manager your email subject.
As part of your cover letter, please address the following:
BayLegal’s clients are low- and very low-income members of our communities. They include persons of color, LGBTQ individuals, working poor, seniors, veterans, people with disabilities and persons from other underrepresented groups. To ensure our organization is best serving these populations, BayLegal strives to promote an evolving set of behaviors and attitudes amongst our staff, as well as policies that enable us to work effectively in all cross-cultural situations, with clients, with our coworkers, and with the community. We see this as a commitment to enhance the provision of our services to all clients; to raise the level of positive client outcomes; and to create an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued.
How do you think your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to serve our client base effectively and to contribute to our commitment to cultural humility, inclusion and diversity? Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, applying various aspects of your life and personal experiences.