Position: Senior/Supervising Attorney- Family Law
Summary: LACLJ seeks a seasoned family law attorney to join its seven-member family law team. This is a case- carrying position that will provide representation, primarily in custody and restraining order hearings, to low income survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault. In addition this attorney will train and mentor pro bono attorneys representing clients in their permanent restraining order hearings. As a senior team member, this position will work collaboratively with the Director of Legal Services and the other Supervising Attorney in managing casework in LACLJ’s East L.A. and La Mirada offices, mentoring staff, and representing the agency externally to partners and peer agencies.
About the Organization: Located in East Los Angeles, the Los Angeles Center for Law and Justice (LACLJ) is an emerging leader in the provision of legal services to immigrant survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault. The 30-person nonprofit law firm assists clients in obtaining restraining and custody orders, immigration relief and other legal remedies available to them as a result of surviving domestic and sexual violence. Over the last four years, the agency has seen significant growth in its appellate practice, pro bono program and services for immigrants, including expanded services for trafficking survivors. LACLJ also provides clients with wraparound supportive services, which include education, referrals, safety planning, accompaniment and other advocacy through its Community Care Advocacy Program.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide legal advice and representation to survivors of interpersonal violence in family law matters, model best practices in case management, and assist in linking clients to non-legal supportive services as needed.
- Supervise and/or mentor attorneys and other staff, identify opportunities for training, and co-counsel cases as needed.
- Train and support pro bono attorneys, primarily in their representation of clients at their permanent restraining order hearings.
- Engage in community education and outreach, with an emphasis on Supervisorial District four (4), by conducting presentations for community members and partners, participating in provider networks, and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders.
- Assist with program administration, as needed, by helping agency maintain best practices, ensuring services meet contracted deliverables, and staying abreast of opportunities for program enhancements
- Demonstrated passion for working with immigrant communities and survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault.
- A minimum of seven years’ legal experience in the practice of family law, including lawyering skills, client interviewing, legal research, writing, drafting, negotiation, law and motion and discovery techniques and trial and appellate work.
- Understanding of trauma and experience working within a client-centered, trauma-informed service model preferred.
- Excellent legal writing and oral advocacy skills
- Willingness to assume responsibility quickly and ability to meet deadlines and perform multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail.
- Ability to work successfully with people from diverse backgrounds and all levels of personnel
- Bilingual and bi-literate in Spanish
- Active membership in good standing in the California Bar
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
- Work will be performed in an office setting at a work
- This position requires concentration on tasks while facing
- This position requires attendance at meetings, both in and outside the LACLJ offices.
- Use of office machines such as computers, photocopier, and
- Ability to work at and travel between the LACLJ main office at 5301 Whittier in East Los Angeles, our La Mirada location and other locations such as various Los Angeles Superior Court locations.
Salary and Benefits: Depending on experience and expertise, this position will be hired as either a Senior or Supervising Attorney. The salary ranges from $70,000-$85,000 per year depending on experience. LACLJ offers full-time staff a generous benefits package and paid vacation leave including 100% employer-paid medical (Kaiser), dental, vision, long-term disability, life insurance and the option to participate in a 403(b) retirement plan and dependent and health flex savings accounts (FSA).
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to Carmen McDonald, Director of Legal Services, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title in the subject header. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Los Angeles Center for Law and Justice is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, disability, or sexual orientation.