Senior Staff Attorney (San Francisco)
OneJustice is an innovative and award-winning nonprofit that brings life-changing legal help to those in need by transforming the civil legal aid system. OneJustice works statewide and is beginning to work nationally to build the capacity of all components of California’s civil legal aid system to meet the legal needs of local communities and to ensure the availability of services statewide. The organization has three core program areas: (1) Healthy Nonprofits, which ensures legal services organizations have the business and management skills needed to survive and thrive; (2) Pro Bono Justice, which expands legal services for Californians in need by developing and staffing innovative and effective pro bono projects with law schools, firms, and businesses; and (3) Californians for Legal Aid, which advocates for California legal services nonprofits on federal public policy and funding issues. More information about OneJustice is available at www.OneJustice.org.
OneJustice is looking for a Senior Staff Attorney to join our team of legal aid innovators. The Senior Staff Attorney will manage the Northern California Pro Bono Justice Clinics team in implementing an annual schedule of pro bono legal clinics in underserved communities in Northern California via the Rural Justice Collaborative (RJC), Justice Bus, and Justice Bus Network projects. The Senior Staff Attorney will have some clinical responsibilities, in addition to a focus on effective project management, responsibility for the annual project budget and grant management, and supervision and support to the NorCal clinics team. The Senior Staff Attorney will work with the Director of Strategic Partnerships to ensure innovation in the clinics model to scale and expand projects, as well as cohesion with the Los Angeles Pro Bono Justice team.
The Justice Bus Project connects pro bono attorneys and law students from the Bay Area and Los Angeles with rural, isolated, and underserved communities across the state. Transported by bus, these teams of volunteers partner with legal services organizations and community-based organizations to conduct free legal clinics that provide critical legal help, in areas such as criminal record change, DACA renewals, naturalization, general immigration consults, veteran issues, and estate planning. The Justice Bus Network aims to expand the Justice Bus model in order to leverage the impact of pro bono volunteers statewide. The Justice Bus Network and a corollary national expansion of the Justice Bus will seek to increase the number of clinics taking place by transitioning OneJustice’s role from executing Justice Bus clinics to providing consulting, technical assistance, and support to legal service organizations participating in the Network. The goal of this transition is to grow the local capacity of legal service organizations to respond to legal needs and to facilitate a deeper commitment by pro bono volunteers in client communities. The Rural Justice Collaborative is an innovative project that connects low-income Californians in areas of the greater San Francisco Bay Area with pro bono attorneys for assistance, predominantly with immigration issues.
The Senior Staff Attorney is based in San Francisco, reports directly to the Director of Strategic Partnerships, and directly supervises a Program Manager position. Travel within California is required, including to rural areas to help staff clinics.
- Pro Bono Justice Program Work: Scaling NorCal Clinics and Piloting Justice Bus Network and National expansion
- Primary responsibility for oversight and implementation of Pro Bono Clinics in Northern California
- Primary responsibility for piloting, implementing and iterating the new Justice Bus Network, a consulting and technical assistance program that builds the capacity of legal services organizations to run their own successful rural legal clinics on a range of civil legal aid needs.
- Support to Director of Strategic Partnerships in expanding the Justice Bus nationally in the Justice Bus Network model
- Build strategic partnerships with legal services nonprofits (particularly in rural areas) and the private sector (law firms and corporate legal departments)
- Collaborate with OneJustice’s Pro Bono Justice Clinics team to help improve the efficacy and maximize the impact of pro bono service in California by assisting legal services nonprofits, law schools, law firms, and in-house counsel in developing new pro bono programs and improving existing pro bono partnerships
- Participation in some clinics is required to support continual design innovation and to ensure quality control as well as to lead some clinics
- Work closely with the Director of Strategic Partnerships, Chief Program Officer and Pro Bono Justice Director to set vision, theory of change, annual goals and objectives for the Pro Bono Justice NorCal clinics and Network
- Work closely with the Director of Strategic Partnerships and in consultation with the Chief Program Office and the Pro Bono Justice Director to expand the Justice Bus project through a new networked scale model (i.e., the Justice Bus Network)
- Coordinate with the Southern California Pro Bono Clinics Team to ensure consistent clinic approaches in both regions
- Semi-frequent travel within California and some possible national travel is required
- Manage the Talent, Finances, and Projects of the Pro Bono Justice NorCal Clinics Team
- Supervision and mentoring: manage the NorCal clinics team and two direct reports, including ensuring effective delegation, communication, and project management throughout the team
- Ensure professional development strategies for all team members
- Responsibility for ensuring all program and grant deliverables are performed on time and with excellence for both of the Pro Bono Justice NorCal Clinics projects, and all relevant Immigration Pro Bono projects
- Implement the Pro Bono Justice Clinics portions of the strategic plan, project assessments, and set and ensure achievement of annual and multi-year program goals
- Lead Pro Bono Justice NorCal Clinics team participation in OneJustice’s Evaluation, Impact and Learning processes – including monitoring and evaluating existing and proposed clinical and immigration projects, using data to continuously improve and innovate, as well as to drive decisions
- Manage Revenue Strategies Related to Pro Bono Justice NorCal Clinics and Immigration Pro Bono Projects
- Responsible for overseeing implementation and compliance with the NorCal clinics grant portfolio & applying for new grants as needed (foundation and government sources)
- Work with the Director of Strategic Partnerships and participate in the Grants Committee to achieve annual goals for revenue from grants
- Responsibility for the NorCal Clinics earned income streams, including overseeing invoicing and payment
- Responsible for building and stewarding strong relationships with the private sector (law firms and corporate legal departments) to ensure pro bono participation and financial support
- Represent the OneJustice clinics team at conferences, statewide meetings, local and regional coalitions, and other events, including conducting trainings and other public speaking engagements
- Present at occasional meetings of the OneJustice Advisory Board and Strategy Council
- J.D. and California Bar Membership
- At least 3 years of legal experience, preferably with significant clinical experience
- An equity mindset (awareness of the inequities that exist at multiple levels from the personal to the systemic) and demonstrated commitment to the values of diversity and inclusion
- Strong commitment to pro bono as a strategy for increasing access to legal services for low-income Californians
- Enthusiasm for innovation, creative problem-solving and continuous learning
- Demonstrated experience as a self-starter, with a history of independently managing projects
- Previous experience working with low-income and/or underserved communities preferred
- Experience working at a legal services nonprofit or providing pro bono assistance as a law firm associate preferred
- Experience in immigration and/or criminal record clearance work preferred
- Prior experience on consulting projects a plus
Salary & Benefits:
- Competitive salary with increases possible for each year of prior directly relevant nonprofit legal services experience. The possible salary range is $61,600 (no prior experience as a Senior Staff Attorney) to $92,400 (ten years of prior Senior Staff Attorney experience), as dictated by the OneJustice salary scale.
- Benefits include fully paid health insurance (medical, dental, and vision), life and disability insurance, and generous paid leave (vacation, sick, and holidays – including a full week off during the winter holidays)
- OneJustice also offers a flexible spending account for qualified health and commute expenditures
- An opportunity to work on the cutting edge of legal services innovation and growth
- A supportive, team-based environment and commitment to ongoing professional development
To apply, please visit: https://onejustice.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=29
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. The ideal start date is September 2019.
In the online application system listed above, be prepared to submit the following information: 1) a cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for the position that describes relevant work and/or volunteer experience; 2) your resume; 3) three references; and 4) a response to the following question:
OneJustice serves highly diverse communities in our clients and in the broader legal services sector. To ensure that our agency is best positioned to serve these communities, OneJustice strives to promote an evolving set of behaviors and attitudes amongst our staff, as well as policies that enable us to work effectively in all cross-cultural situations, with clients, with our coworkers, and with our communities. We see this as a commitment to enhance the provision of our services to all clients and nonprofits and to create an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued. Please address in your cover letter how your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to contribute to our commitment to cultural competency and diversity amongst our staff. Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, applying various aspects of your life and personal experiences.
To promote social justice and best serve our various communities, OneJustice is committed to maintaining a diverse staff and providing culturally competent services. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups, as well as bilingual and bicultural candidates, to apply.