Senior Staff Attorney, Bay Area
About Root & Rebound: Root & Rebound (R&R) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, based in
Oakland, CA, that works to restore and protect the rights, dignity, and opportunities of formerly
incarcerated people and people impacted by the criminal justice system.
With offices statewide and launching nationally, our mission is to transfer power and information
from the policy and legal communities to the people most impacted by the criminal justice
system–through public education, direct legal services, and policy advocacy–so that the law
serves, rather than harms, low-income communities and communities of color in the United
The web of collateral consequences is pervasive and complex, and R&R has a holistic approach
to dismantle the two-tiered system of injustice in this country, working in rural and urban
communities, and across all areas of life, including housing, employment and occupational
licensing, family reunification, parole and probation advocacy, court debt, record expungement,
and more. Learn more at www.rootandrebound.org.
Commitment: Full-time position, starting Summer 2019.
Location: Based in Oakland, CA, with frequent travel across the Bay Area region.
About the Senior Staff Attorney Position: R&R seeks a Bay Area Senior Staff Attorney to
deepen and broaden our regional legal programs–expanding our direct legal services, growing
partnerships and increasing impact. Utilizing a variety of community lawyering strategies
including legal clinics, legal hotline, court representation, public education and community
workshops, impact litigation and policy advocacy, the attorney will support people impacted by
mass incarceration to navigate the collateral consequences of justice system involvement.
Across all of their work, the attorney will practice as a “generalist,” working across 11 key areas
of law and life in a holistic a practice designed to be responsive to the needs of people and
families impacted by the War on Drugs and mass incarceration.
The ideal candidate is hard working, dedicated, and able to work independently in a fast-paced
and dynamic environment, while also working collaboratively with the R&R team. Under the
supervision of R&R’s Associate Director, the attorney will be given rigorous training on practicing
as a reentry legal generalist, including a strong orientation from R&R’s senior attorneys and
leadership team, and a high level of ongoing learning, professional development opportunities,
Over time, this role will likely include managing more junior attorney(s), legal fellow(s), law clerks,
and/or other supporting team members. Being a small and growing organization, there are many
opportunities for leadership growth and advancement at R&R.
Responsibilities & Duties:
The Senior Staff Attorney’s responsibilities & duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
Direct Legal Services:
● Hotline: Serve as a frontline support on R&R’s weekly Reentry Legal Hotline; conduct legal
intakes with currently and formerly incarcerated callers; help callers identify and navigate
solutions; advocate for clients; and help maintain a strong referral and resource database
for the Hotline. Lead the hotline team in identifying cases that would be strong fit for
in-depth legal support and court representation, and take on that representation.
● Clinics: Oversee, coordinate and lead Bay Area legal clinics for community members with
arrest and conviction histories. Work with Bay Area Partners that serve justice-impacted
people to bring R&R’s holistic reentry legal clinics to their sites and clients. Lead the clinical
team in identifying cases that would be strong fit for in-depth legal support and court
representation, and take on that representation.
● Court representation and Litigation: Develop and execute on a strategy for R&R taking on
deeper-level direct services and litigation approaches in supporting clients to overcome
barriers because of their criminal records. This will include representing clients across
Northern California (primarily in the Bay Area and tribal regions to the North) on a variety of
legal matters in court and advancing litigation strategies, including parole and probation
advocacy, family law, occupational licensing and employment, housing, educational equity,
discrimination cases, and more.
● Site-based Legal Services: Oversee Bay Area partnerships and provide site-based legal
services for people with records served by partnering CBOs that contract with R&R.
Public Education, Resource Development, and Partner-based Trainings:
● Grow Bay Area partnerships and provide resources and training/education to those
partners (including directly impacted people, their families, service providers,
employers, community supervision officers, attorneys, and other agencies supporting
people with records) to have the tools and know-how to navigate reentry legal
● Lead Bay Area coalition of employers, workforce development agencies and other
partners on Fair Chance Hiring.
● Assist in the creation and updating of R&R’s legal resources, such as
“know-your-rights” toolkits, fact sheets, training slides and videos, etc.
General Programmatic and Administrative Support:
● Assist with proactively recruiting and managing a diverse, robust group of R&R
volunteers, including pro bono attorneys, law students, undergraduate, and
non-legal volunteers, in support of all of our Bay Area legal programs.
● Track client and programmatic data and outcomes.
● Maintain organized files, systems, and databases for all of R&R’s legal programs.
● Assist with R&R’s development and fundraising activities, as needed.
● Attend local, state, and national conferences related to R&R’s work, as needed.
● Respond professionally and promptly to dynamic and ever-shifting programmatic demands
in a startup environment, working collaboratively with our small but mighty team of reentry
The ideal candidate has the following qualifications:
● 8+ years of law practice experience
● Licensed attorney, and in good standing, in California.
● Strong courtroom and litigation experience. Experience staffing or running legal clinics is
● Demonstrated commitment to social, racial, and criminal justice.
● Positive, professional, and humble attitude.
● Strong work ethic, resilience, and determination.
● Proactive communicator and team builder.
● Flexibility and agility, with the ability to add and subtract work based on R&R’s priorities.
● Able to prioritize work effectively and excellent time-management.
● Ability to communicate clearly to a broad range of audiences, verbally and in writing.
● Creative, enthusiastic, and willing to learn and try new things.
● Ability to and excitement about regular travel across the Bay Area, with some travel to
other parts of the state as needed.
● Preference for Spanish-speaking attorneys.
● Bi-lingual or multi-lingual is a plus.
● Driver’s license required.
Compensation & Benefits: This position will begin as a full-time position with a competitive salary
scale (that starts at $62,000 for entry level attorneys) commensurate with experience. R&R
provides employment benefits that include medical, vision, and dental care, plus 15 days PTO and
additional week of PTO for holiday closures.
Application Instructions: To apply for this position, please send a resume, cover letter, at least
two short writing samples where you were the primary author (one legal and one non-legal), and
at least three references with contact information in an email directed to K.C. Taylor at
email@example.com. Resumes without a cover letter, writing samples, and references will
not be reviewed. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No
phone calls, please.
Root & Rebound is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from
all qualified individuals including formerly incarcerated and/or system-involved individuals,
people of color, persons with disabilities, ethnic and religious minorities, women, and lesbian,
gay, bisexual, transgender, and gender variant individuals. We depend on a diverse team to
accomplish our mission!