The mission of the California Women’s Law Center is to create a more just and equitable society by breaking down barriers and advancing the potential of women and girls through transformative litigation, policy advocacy, and education.
CWLC prioritizes four main areas of advocacy: gender discrimination, violence against women, pay equity and economic security, and women’s health. Our work is predominantly focused on assisting low-income women and girls and communities of color.
CWLC seeks an energetic self-starter who will help formulate and implement CWLC’s strategies to secure justice for women and girls. The Senior Staff Attorney is an exempt, full-time position who reports directly to the Executive Director. The Senior Staff Attorney will:
- Assist in establishing the priorities and goals for CWLC, including the development of legal and programmatic strategies
- Work with the Executive Director and members of the legal staff to determine when the mission and strategic priorities of CWLC would be advanced by instituting litigation
- Litigate at the trial and appellate levels, draft amicus briefs, manage outside legal counsel
- Serve as an expert resource by leading legal trainings and providing technical assistance to individuals, direct legal services providers, attorneys and community organizations
- Engage in policy advocacy, coordinate and collaborate on policy initiatives with partner organizations, and lead advocacy at the state or federal level as needed
- Collaborate with local, state and national coalitions and partnerships that support goals and initiatives consistent with the mission of CWLC, and participate in meetings and public speaking and press events
- Assist in the development and outreach of CWLC by assisting in grant writing efforts, events and special projects or programs
- Work with an intersectional lens on inclusion and diversity
- Perform other duties as required to meet the standards of the organization
J.D., L.L.B or the equivalent. Admitted to the California Bar and in good standing.
- Practiced law for at least 6 years
- 5+ years of experience in complex or impact litigation
- Demonstrated 2+ years expertise in legal advocacy on women’s issues
- Administrative skills, including supervision of employees/volunteers and budget management
- Excellent speaking and writing skills
- Fluency in other languages a plus
Salary and benefits:
- $100,000-$130,000, commensurate with experience
- Health, dental, and vision insurance, plus retirement
- California State Bar dues and professional liability insurance
If you are interested in applying, please send a cover letter outlining your qualifications, along with a resume, writing sample and list of references to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Application for Senior Staff Attorney Position”.
CWLC is an equal opportunity employer. CWLC prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, citizenship, national origin, disability status, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.