|Position||Senior Staff Attorney – Housing and Homelessness Prevention Unit|
|Organization Description||The Public Law Center (PLC)’s Housing and Homelessness Prevention Unit seeks an energetic, passionate advocate to join our team in fighting for justice for low-income tenants and self-represented litigants in Orange County through innovative, collaborative, community-centered lawyering to address inequities and pursue access to affordable housing.
PLC’s Housing Unit provides high quality direct representation, in addition to coordinating and supervising pro bono representation, of tenants in cases involving unlawful detainer, discrimination, harassment, housing voucher disputes, affordable housing advocacy and other issues related to housing. The Unit also participates in community education, community-based clinics, and local and statewide advocacy.
|Qualifications||· Active membership in the California State Bar/Bar Membership pending or eligibility to practice under State Bar Multijurisdictional Practice Program.
· Bilingual English/Spanish or English/Vietnamese preferred
· 5-10 years’ experience; eviction defense and/or housing law experience preferred
· Demonstrated commitment to working with low-income communities
· Strong oral and written communication skills
· Ability to manage multiple tasks, work independently, and as part of a team
· Must have own transportation, valid CA Driver’s license, insurance and good
· Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless the applicant has a valid medical reason for not being fully vaccinated or a sincerely held religious belief preventing vaccination
|Duties and Responsibilities||· Handle a diverse caseload on behalf of low-income tenants, including eviction defense, discrimination, habitability, subsidized housing cases (including Section 8), and other issues arising in landlord/tenant relationships
· Supervise staff attorneys, paralegals, and administrative staff to ensure high-quality legal services are provided to PLC’s clients
· Oversee volunteers through CLE training, technical support and general supervision at clinics and in casework
· Investigate clients’ cases, including inspection of housing units and obtaining and reviewing documents and records from government agencies
· Represent PLC at networking and community outreach events (when possible)
· Full time position with occasional evening and weekend work required
· Other duties as assigned
|Salary & Benefits||· Compensation dependent on experience; range of $67,000 to $77,000
· Competitive benefits provided
|Please submit resume, cover letter and writing sample (10 pages or less) to Grace Landa at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no phone calls.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
The Public Law Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
601 Civic Center Drive West ∙ Santa Ana, CA 92701-4002 ∙ (714) 541-1010 ext. 272 ∙ Fax (714) 541-5157