POSITION: Senior Manager of Donor Relations
OneJustice is a nonprofit legal organization that brings life-changing legal help to those in need by transforming the civil legal aid system. We have three core program areas: (1) Pro Bono Justice, which expands legal services for Californians in need by developing and staffing innovative and effective pro bono projects with law schools, firms, and businesses around the state; (2) Healthy Nonprofits, which ensures legal services nonprofits have the business and management skills needed to survive and thrive, and (3) Californians for Legal Aid, which advocates for California legal services nonprofits on federal policy and funding issues. More information about OneJustice is available at www.OneJustice.org.
Position Description: The Senior Manager of Donor Relations serves as the principal fundraising manager for OneJustice and is responsible for the planning and implementation of a comprehensive fundraising program that secures approximately $800K annually in philanthropic sources from individuals and corporations to support OneJustice’s mission and programs.
The Senior Manager is located in the San Francisco office, reports to the CEO (Julia Wilson), and directly supervises three positions: the Donor Relations Manager, the Development Coordinator, and the Communications Associate. The Senior Manager has primary responsibility for securing at least $475K annually from corporate donors, including managing the annual Opening Doors to Justice fundraising event. The Senior Manager oversees the Donor Relations Manager who has primary responsibility for raising over $320K annually from individual donors. The Senior Manager also has responsibility for managing up to and activating the CEO, Board of Directors, and Advisory Board in donor revenue generation and donor management strategies. This position is an excellent match for someone who is passionate about social justice, has had steadily increasing responsibilities in fundraising in the nonprofit sector, and seeks to continue to hone those leadership, development, and management skills in a dynamic, innovative, impactful organization.
Lead and Manage the Staff, Activities, and Budget of the Development & Communications
Team (approximately 20%):
- Work with the CEO to set the annual goals and plans for revenue generation from individual and corporation donors, and have primary responsibility for achieving those goals and plans, whether as an individual contributor (for corporate contributions) or through supervision (for individual donations)
- Supervise three Development & Communications positions to achieve those plans, including ensuring effective delegation, communication, and project management throughout the team
- Ensure professional development strategies for all team members
- Monitor the budget of the Development & Communications program (including tracking actuals to budget on a monthly basis with support from the Director of Finance & Operations and
working with the accounting team to reconcile records of donations)
- Serve as the lead of an ambitious annual plan for corporate engagement in both OneJustice pro bono projects and OneJustice fundraising strategies, including:
- Manage a portfolio of 60+ law firms and corporations to ensure their strong relationships with OneJustice (includes managing up to the CEO to ensure her stewardship of top level corporate relationships)
- Work with Pro Bono Justice (PBJ) program staff and the CEO to create and implement the annual plan for corporate engagement and stewardship
- Understand and comply with all OneJustice gift-related policies and procedures and ensures ethical compliance, as defined by the Association for Fundraising Professionals
- Manage all aspects of OneJustice’s annual Opening Doors to Justice event, which takes place in June of each year and includes an awards presentation, silent and live auction, and roughly 300-350 attendees
- Achieve annual fundraising goals for the event, including managing the corporate sponsorship process to achieve the budget goals, including solicitations, acknowledgements, and RSVP tracking (the FY1819 goal for the June 2019 event was $450,000)
- Manage the event program including interfacing with the two corporate honorees
- Supervise the Communications Associate on the event website and materials
- Manage the relationship with all external vendors, including the external events coordinator who handles the logistics of the event and the graphic designer for event collateral
- Support and manage up to the CEO and Board members in annual solicitations of gifts from corporations throughout each fiscal year
- Ambassador: represent OneJustice at various corporate relationship-building and fundraising events (occasional evenings, weekends, and travel required)
- Oversee the use and maintenance of OneJustice’s CRM (Bloomerang) for tracking engagement with law firms and corporations, including ensuring regular use by program staff, integrity of data, tracking goals to actuals, etc.
Primary Staff to the OneJustice Advisory Board (approximately 20%):
- Serving as the primary staff support to OneJustice’s Advisory Board, including supporting the Leadership Group, managing the annual member recruitment process
- Serving as the primary staff for Advisory Board meetings (6 meeting per year), including working with the CEO on content, setting agendas, handling all meeting logistics
- All other administrative and stewardship activities to maintain excellent relationships with Advisory Board members.
- At least 2 years of fundraising experience in a nonprofit organization with commensurate senior manager-level responsibilities
- At least 2 years prior experience supervising full-time employees
- Prior experience in planning, implementing, and staffing fundraising events
- Prior experience working directly with a nonprofit Board of Directors in fundraising preferred
- Travel within California is required, including working out of the Los Angeles OneJustice office to ensure in-person time with Southern California Board members, funders, and other stakeholders
Salary & Benefits:
- The starting salary for this Senior Manager position is $71,840 (which assumes two years of prior experience with commensurate senior manager-level responsibilities, with increases possible for each additional year of experience with commensurate senior manager-level responsibilities, as dictated by OneJustice’s salary scale)
- Benefits include fully paid health insurance (medical, dental, and vision), life and disability insurance, and generous paid leave (vacation, sick, and holidays – including a full week off during the winter holidays)
- OneJustice also offers a flexible spending account for qualified health and commute expenditures
To apply, please visit: https://onejustice.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=25
Applications must be received by May 5, 2019, but interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis. The ideal start date is July 2019.
In the online application system above, be prepared to submit the following information: (1) a cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for the position and describing relevant work and/or volunteer experience; (2) your resume; (3) three references; and (4) a response to following question in your cover letter:
OneJustice serves highly diverse communities both in terms of our clients and in the broader legal services sector. To ensure that our agency is best positioned to serve these communities, OneJustice strives to promote an evolving set of behaviors and attitudes amongst our staff, as well as policies that enable us to work effectively in all cross-cultural situations, with clients, with our coworkers, and with our communities. We see this as a commitment to enhance the provision of our services to all clients and nonprofits and to create an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued. Please address in your cover letter how your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to contribute to our commitment to cultural competency and diversity amongst our staff. Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, applying various aspects of your life and personal experiences.
To promote social justice and best serve our various communities, OneJustice is committed to maintaining a diverse staff and providing culturally competent services. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups, as well as bilingual and bicultural candidates, to apply.